Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartArray 5i drive/raid detection

Gustaf Gunnarsson
Occasional Visitor

SmartArray 5i drive/raid detection

Hi,
I am using a number of DL360 G2 machines, all of these are fairly important but they are anyways running RAID-0. I have one machine doing something else not so important which is running its two disks in a RAID-1 configuration.

In the past when I've had to replace a drive in any of the RAID-0 machines I've been able to poweroff the RAID-1 machine. Put in two new drives, configure them as RAID-0, install OS (RedHat) mirror all the data from the original RAID-0 server and then turn both off and switch the disksets.

After that I just bring the old RAID-1 configuration online on the not so important DL360 G2 machine.

Last night when I tried this, this didnt work (using SmartArray 5i fw 2.38).

First I couldnt get the new disks to work properly, one were not detected by the proliant at all, after some putting the disks in and out to ensure the backplane got connected properly this eventually worked. I then reconfigured the diskset (to RAID-0) from the menu presented at bootup just after the raidcontroller checked the disks. Installed os etc..

However, once I was done and put my old disks back this didnt work anymore. After doing some serious wrong actions the disks were trashed and I was unable to recover them.

I then tried to put my new disks back just to see if these would work. Same procedure, everything failed.

Right now we're running version 2.38 on the smartarray 5i controller. The disks are one set of old Ultra3 36gb disks, the new ones are Ultra320 36gb disks sent from HP as replacement. I know I performed this procedure in the past, always without any trouble at all.

Does anybody have any ideas what I did wrong or why it would fail so completely?

Best regards,
Gustaf
1 REPLY
Gustaf Gunnarsson
Occasional Visitor

Re: SmartArray 5i drive/raid detection

I must have done something stupid last night while I was tired because it works as expected today. Hmms.

Best regards,
Gustaf