1753505 Members
5076 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SmartArray p212 - how to disable warning about no arrays configured

miaso120
Advisor

SmartArray p212 - how to disable warning about no arrays configured

We have a DL360 G6 server and recently we installed a MSL2024 tape library. It has SAS interface so per recommendation on "MSL2024 Tape Library - Option Parts" page we have bought SmartArray p212 controller and connected the tape library to its external SAS interface. It has nothing else connected to it, so obviously no arrays configured. Now every time the server boots it shows "Error 1785 - Drive Array not Configured" during POST. This error also gets to the integrated management log, so server status in the Management Homepage and Insight Manager show alert unless after each reboot I manually clear this event in log.

So the question is - is there a way to disable this error message?
4 REPLIES 4
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

As you know already:
This will typically occur when the internal hard drives are connected to an optional controller and no drives are attached to the P212 Controller. This message is expected and can be safely ignored. The server will continue to boot normally after the message appears.

According to my understanding:
There is no option to disable this message, the controller is working as designed.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

An ARRAY controller is listed as a suggested controller for a tape robot?
Sometimes the recommendations on this site is a bit disturbing...

I would have picked this one instead:
HP StorageWorks SC44Ge SAS Host Bus adapter 416096-B21
(Assuming its the correct interface)

miaso120
Advisor

Yup, here is the link to "HP StorageWorks MSL2024 Tape Library - Option Parts"

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=125&prodSeriesId=3936307&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c02076570

Under Host Bus Adapter section see notes:
"HP P212 Smart Array Controller Zero Memory - Recommended for ProLiant G6 SAS tape automation connect. 256MB or larger write cache recommended for more than two tape drives"

I have considered ordering the SC44Ge controller which has no raid capability so it obviously wont have such problem. But I'm worried that its quite old - last driver and firmware update was made in the middle of 2009.
Klaus Schiffgens
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

we also have difficulties concerning this constellation. P212 is the recommended solution to attach any tape drive on G6 servers and we have no working driver on current SLES 10 SP3 kernel. Tape drive is recognized as a disk. SC44GE worked fine so far but our supplier switched to P212.
So although we use the recommended configuration from the tape compatibility matrix, we have no backup at all.

Very annoying!