ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753379 Members
4870 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SmartStart 7.90 failure on dl380G5 and windows 2003 enterprise R2 sp2

Danyaal Khan

SmartStart 7.90 failure on dl380G5 and windows 2003 enterprise R2 sp2

On one of the two servers, after the R2 installation runs, the hp installation utility does not find any supported devices and exits without installing any drivers or support software. On the other identical server there are no issues. In device manager a base system device and an unknown device show up without any appropriate drives. Any thoughts on what this could be?

Thanks,

Danyaal
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

Dl380 G5 I supposed you're talking about proliant support pack 7.91??? that you're trying to install???

what is the error? can you attached an screenshot?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Danyaal Khan

Actually doing a fresh install using smartstart 7.90. No error. The log just says no supported devices found by the HP utility installer that launches after R2 is installed.
Danyaal Khan

More information: PSP7.90 installs everything just fine after os install but the smartstart utility installer still does not recognize the server.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

sorry I dont understand this very well

"More information: PSP7.90 installs everything just fine after os install but the smartstart utility installer still does not recognize the server."

If PSP was installed successfully which smartstart utility installer you're referring to which specific tool?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Danyaal Khan

My apologies for being a little confusing.

What I'm trying to do is document the exact process to build a MS cluster on two dl380 G5s with an MSA1000. As an initial step I am installing w2k3 r2 on the dl380s using the smartstart 7.90 installation process. On one of the nodes everything goes fine, os gets installed, r2 gets installed and then an HP utility installer runs and installs all the drivers, support tools, insight manager etc. On the other node the os install seems to go fine but the hp utility installer exits before installing anything. The log file shows that it does not think that the server is a supported device. At this point I have a server with the OS installed but a bunch of unknown devices in device manager. If I now install PSP-7.90, it does not seem to have any problems, and install the appropriate drivers, utilities, etc.

I'm trying to figure out why this is happening as the two servers are identical (firmware and peripherical are identical down to the slots in which the fcal cards are in). Any helps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Danyaal