ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748249 Members
3365 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SmartStart 8.25 Causes Slow Shutdown

JoeMc

SmartStart 8.25 Causes Slow Shutdown

I have been putting together a brand new Proliant DL 360 G5 server. Immediately after I install the HP Tools from the SmartStart 8.25 CD, the server shuts down and logs off very slowly. The server can take up to 15 - 20 minutes to shutdown.

After further research, I determined the cause to be the System Management Hompage service. If I disable this service the server shuts down and logs off normally. I use the System Management Homepage every now and then and would prefer to not have to disable it. Even if have the service disabled and I enable it to use the SMH, then disable the service when I'm done the server will experience slow shutdown.

Is this a known bug in 8.25?

My version of the SMH is 3.0.1.73.

10 REPLIES 10
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

This was a known problem a few updates ago, but I have not seen the problem with the latest version. Perhaps it has come back.

I will be on the lookout for it and let you know if I see the same problem.

Nelson
THAKUR
Frequent Advisor

Which OS you were using?
Till now, with 8.25, we have not seen this observation?

Regards,
Ajay
JoeMc

I'm using Windows Server 2003 SP2.

HP technical support has suggested I try installing version 3.0.0.64 of the System Management Homepage. I'll give that a try.
JoeMc

It appears my first post wasn't 100 percent accurate. The slow shutdown and slow logoff problem didn't start occuring immediately after the SmartStart 8.25 installation. The problem started occuring after I installed our antivirus software (CA eTrust Threat Management). The problem can still be resolved by disabling the System Management Homepage service, but this service appears to be a victim of a conflict with the antivirus software and not the root cause of the issue.

If anyone knows of any conflicts or issues between antivirus software and the HP system tools please let me know.

Thanks!

I have the same problem on SmartStart 8.25 and 8.20.I had to uninstall System Management Hompage Ver 3.0.0.64 and installed ver 2.1.15.210 and it is working.

Thank you all.
JoeMc

Just out of curiosity, do you have any antivirus software installed on your server? I did the same thing, installing the older version of the system management homepage and that worked around the problem, but I didn't want to have to do that on all of our new servers. We want to be moving forward and not have to install older versions of things.

We use CA ITM 8.0. This suite installs both antivirus and PestPatrol on our servers. I found there's a conflict between the SMH and the Pest Patrol piece. I uninstalled Pest Patrol (leaving the antivirus installed) and installed the latest version of the SMH and it worked.

We have to make a decision as to whether we want the latest version of the SMH or do we want to have Pest Patrol installed. This problem only came up when version 8.25 of SmartStart came out (or maybe one version before that).

If anyone has any ideas please share!

Thanks,
Joe
RDF

I have wasted 3-4 weeks trying to diagnose the exact same problem with CA, I cannot understand why HP and CA can't talk together and get the issue resolved.
I too want the latest HP homepage but faced witht the same situation of removing the pestpastrol to make it work.
Frustrated to say the least.
Richard Drouin
Advisor

Thanks JoeMC

We've also been fighting with this problem for a few weeks.
Server2003, dl380G6, psp 8.20, 8.25 and above tested. Logoff or shutdown would take 10-15min.

Disabling PestPatrol service does the trick.

You then need to restart or kill the cmd.exe processes and restart smh service.
After that logging off works.

HP, please look into this or get in touch with CA to narrow down the problem.
Richard

winuxman

Now anyone have a solution without disabling the services?