1753789 Members
7667 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SmartStart CD cannot see HDD's on RAID controller to install OS

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

SmartStart CD cannot see HDD's on RAID controller to install OS

I've got an ML370 with inboard 2 channel SCSI controller. I have added an LC2 RAID controller. On the inboard SCSI adapter I have a DDT tape drive. On the LC2 RAID controller I have four 18GB drives. The computer recognizes the LC2 controller and allows me to go into setup and define the logical drive (RAID 5 + on-line spare). It also allows me to specific that the LC2 controller will be my boot controller. When I boot to the Smart Start DC and attempt to install an SO (WinNT 4) it acts like it cannot see the drives on the RAID controller. During the setup it tells me that IDE controller is the boot controller and to go into the config to select a new controller. I go into the config screen and the LC2 is listed, but the only option is enable or disable (set to enable). There is no choice anywhere that I see define the LC2 as the boot controller. It does show that the IDE is 2nd, port 1 on the onboard SCSI controller is 3rd, and port 2 is 4th. I continue on for a second and it then tells me there are no disks on the controller (I'm not sure what controller it is looking at).
I also tried to boot from the NT CD, specified the driver (I used the driver from SSD 2.2, SCSI, Array), it said it found the controller, but then said no disks were present.

How can I get SmartStart to see my disks? Any help is greatly appreciated!!
3 REPLIES 3
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: SmartStart CD cannot see HDD's on RAID controller to install OS

Did you connect the backplane to the LC2 controller? Also, by setup are you referring to the System Configuration Utility? It seems from your description that the HDD backplane is still connected to the onboard SCSI controller. Were you aware that you could purchase a chip to enable the onboard SCSI controller to have RAID functionality? The tape drive, if I recall, should be connected to Port 2 of the onboard SCSI controller.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

What version of smartstart are you using? older versions dont pick up RAID cards properly.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi there,

Just want to clarify for the LC2 on-board raid controller is only can access during boot up with pressing F8 instead of F10 to the Compaq utility partition. Because is due to different kind of controller and the firmware as well.

So no matter how you use what version of smart start CD or compaq array configuration utility you also cannot see the controller and the hard drive.

If you not understand what I mean you can contact Compaq to get more detail.