ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748240 Members
3638 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SmartStart Can anyone speak to their experience when using this diagnostic tool?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Virginia Benedict
Occasional Contributor

SmartStart Can anyone speak to their experience when using this diagnostic tool?

Please, if you will, provide a use case empirical scenerio of your experience with SmartStart.
Choose your battles and let the rest dissipate while shielding yourself from strife!
4 REPLIES 4
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

Re: SmartStart Can anyone speak to their experience when using this diagnostic tool?

Smart Start is a deployment / installation tool.

I rarely have to install servers, and when I have to, it's only a few Less than 10.

I have been using it for 10 years, and it's a nice tool.
You will get the correct drivers and all the nice tools installed.

You can take it a step futher, and use the scripting tool kit, and a deploment server.
I have no experience with that.

I do recommend to run Smart Start from a bootable USB memory stick.

One disadvange, it only support a few operating systems.

If you have to deploy a lot of servers, then go for Rapid Deployment Pack.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Jurgen Verhelst
Advisor

To me the SMartStart tool is the best Server installtion too around. Beats dell or IBM any day.
Even when you can't use SmartStart, for instance when doing a SBS 2003 -> 2008 Migration you can still install the drivers and all the good stuff later using the Proliant Support Pack Express mode. I always have the last version in my laptop bag.
Jurgen Verhelst
Advisor

Sorry, Read the question wrongly. You ment the diagnostics tool. I only have used the ACU diagnostics tool and that can use some improvement as it is unreadeble, or better unevaluatable (?) as it contains too many information and too little fault information.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor
Solution

hmm here we go the latest smart start cd should be used after the latest firmware cd is used for your server ..

firmware cd 's are for hp servers that are models 300 + as they usually support smart controllers from boot up soem 100 series servers support smart controllers but fw cd or smart start can not be actually be used with them ..its too quirky

the smart start cd come is it is meant to be used to assist install of servers with smart start controllers you boot from cd and wizzard guides you to install os and configure array it also installs drivers and the latest smart start cd's actually goes on line to install some new firmwares too, as well as drivers but best to use firmware cd for that ,as the smart start cd is not god at installing firmwares from online ,im not quite sure why they do not leave firmwares to the firmware cd

after os is installed and all is okay fine

but if you get issues then boot from smart start cd and run the offline diagnostics in survey mode ,then the array diagnostics, and memory loop tests theses can all be saved to usb stick only if stick was inserted >>before booting the server ..

with the smart start cd in you can look in the ilo log to for errors handy if you do not have ilo setup etc..

enjoy points appreciated :)

have a nice weekend...