108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SmartStart Configuration problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Teasdale
Occasional Advisor

SmartStart Configuration problem

I'm upgrading a Proliant 6500 to Windows 2000 Server. I've ran the SmartStart CD to configure the server, ready for the installation of Windows 2000. I've created the drive arrays/RAID 1 logical volumes as they were before the start of the installation process. I end up with logical drives on 2 SMART 2-DH Controllers, Slot 3 and Slot 5. After I exit out of the Array Configuration utility, the server reboots as expected, but then the following error message appears...

SmartStart can't continue because there are no Physical or Logical disks on the Primary Controller

Error Code 59

The system Erase Utility must be ran to prepare the system to run SmartStart again

and I end up back to the start of the SmartStart configuration process.

I guess the problem is that none of the 2 controllers(on Slot 3 and 5) are assigned as the primary. I've searched through the Compaq Array Configuration Utility and I can't see anywhere where you can assign the Primary Controller. There doesn't seem to be anywhere else during the SmartStart configuration process where I can do this. Does anyone know whereabouts I can do this at, or how to get round the problem?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: SmartStart Configuration problem

Hello Chris,
In your case I would remove one of the controllers and let the configuration continue with one. You can always install the second controller thereafter. Please make sure you have the latest system bios and the firmware of Smart 2DH controllers. The support paq required for updating the firmware of the Array controller is SP19677.
Regards,
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor
Solution

Chris,

You should have an option to set the Controller Order. If you are using a Smart Array Controller, you will need to set this as the first boot selection, which will automatically move the original first to 2nd or 3rd in the pecking order. This option is set in the F10 System Configuration Utility, not the Compaq Array Config Utility.

Hope this helps!
Chris Teasdale
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit of a novice in this area so apologies in advance for anything obvious I'm missing.

I've tried F10 at a few different points when booting the server, but this doesn't do anything. I presume that I don't have the 'System Utilities' installed. When I ran Smartstart, I ran the 'System Erase Utility', so I guess that it has been removed. I guess that I need to get it back on.

Are the System Utilities part of the 'Compaq Management' software? I've got this CD, v5.4.

I presume that I'll have to install this before running SmartStart. Will I be ok to do this considering the 'System Erase Utility' has been ran as I'm booting from the SmartStart CD?

Many Thanks for your help
Chris Teasdale
Occasional Advisor

Sunil,

Thanks for your reply. Apologies for the delay in getting back to you - I've been away for a few days.

I've tried to remove one of the controllers by turing the power off and disabling the SCSI connection, but I still encounter the same problem. When the server boots it still knows of the existence of the disabled controller and I get the same error after using the Compaq Array Configuration Utility. I guess there must be a file held somewhere containing the controller configuration that is not removed by the System Erase Utility.

Looking at Neal's reply, he suggests using the System Utilities to set the primary. I don't seem to have this installed. Can you confirm which CD/software this is on? WIll I be able to load it with the server in its current state, i.e. with the System Erase Utility having been ran?

Thanks in advance
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello chris,
Please run System Configuration Utility by downloading SP19619 if your system is already setup completely. You need to create 4 diskettes. Cold boot your system with the first floppy and then follow the instructions on the screen. I am surprised that even though you have run Sys Erase the system is still holding the configuration settings. Anyways I am enclosing herewith the instructions to clear NVRAM. This is strictly hardware based so dont worry about your OS or data.
Regards,
Chris Teasdale
Occasional Advisor

Sunil,

I've downloaded SP19619. I've cold booted the server, but after startup I get the following

Your computer reported a configuration error during power on self test. Would you like your computer automatically configured for you.

Yes|No

I select Yes and i'm taken to the Main Menu. I prsss Ctrl-A and then Choose System Configuration, and then Configure Hardware. After this I get the error

Fatal Error 286.2220 Load Program Failed - Access Denied to file.

I've also updated the BIOS and this hasn't helped.

The last thing I can think of trying is something you suggeted earlier which is the firmware for the SMART 2DH array controller. How do I work out the firmware version currently used?

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chris Teasdale
Occasional Advisor

I've found the problem. It seems that SmartStart 5.4 is causing the problem. There is a bug in 5.4 which is causing the error message after the Array Config Utility. I was speaking to someone who had seen the same error when configuring a Proliant 2500. I've tried 4.6 instead and this has worked fine. Phew!

Many Thanks for all your help!