6020 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SmartStart Won't Load - Array Not Configured

Brian_329
Advisor

SmartStart Won't Load - Array Not Configured

I have an older server I am trying to
re-setup. It has 3 hot swap drives in a Raid 5 array. The array appears not to be configured as I get the following message:

"1785-Slot 6. Drive Array Not Configured. Run Compaq Array Configuration Utility"

I insert a SmartStart CD to try and run the above named utility and the server rejects it each time be ejecting it. I reseated the drives (no lights; drives appear dead) and at this point I am at a loss. How do I proceed ?
14 REPLIES 14
Jithani
Occasional Advisor

Did you go to array configuration while booting the machine by pressing F8? If not, go there and try creating new volume there.
MG_GM
Advisor

You need to use SmartStart 5.50 or older on older servers.
Brian_329
Advisor

Tried SmartStart CD Release 4.23. Hitting F8 does nothing. Server ejects CD each time it is inserted.

My options are:

F1 - Continue
F10 - System Partition Utilities

Both do nothing when pressed.
Kirk Gray
Occasional Advisor

What model server are you working with?
Brian_329
Advisor

Proliant 3000
Kirk Gray
Occasional Advisor

I noticed that you said you are using SmartStart 4.23. DO you have access to a newer version. 5.5 would be the latest you could use.

When the server is POSTing, do you see the lights on each drive flicker at least once as the RAID controller enumerates the drives?

I asume you have done a system erase and are using the Assisted Integration Path for building the server. Normally, this puts you into the ACU (Array Config. Utility) where you establish your array. If the system does not put you into the ACU during the early part of the build, you may have a defective RAID controller. (I assume it is a Smart2 family controller from the generation server you are using.)
Brian_329
Advisor

Yes. The lights don't flicker per say, but they each light up as the server goes through POST. After POST completes, the light goes dead and then we get the oh so familiar, "Non-System Disk Error" Press any key to continue". I have SmartStart Release 5.10. The partitions at one time were wiped off, no system erase has been done using the SmartStart software. No, I am not using the Assisted Integration Path. Where might I be able to get it? Is it available online? The array should still be functional, I doubt its defective.
Kirk Gray
Occasional Advisor

If you boot with the SmartStart 5.10 CD in your CDROM drive, you will come up to an a screen with icons on it. You should pick the System Erase Icon, then cold boot the server when instructed to do so. This will completely wipe your server. When the system comes back up, it will ask you to pick your language and set the time, then you will see a EULA like page that you must agree to. The next screen is where you will pick the Assisted Integration Path. You will need a Server Profile Diskette (this usually is provided with the SmartStart and Management CDs) You will be asked a series of questions (most can be answered by default). At this point it kind of leads you by the nose. After the initial "interview" the ACU will launch, and you will be able to set your array up. By default, if it sees 3 drives it will pick RAID 5 for you, but don't be afraid to poke around in the ACU to see what it is doing. Let me know if you run into problems.
Brian_329
Advisor

The problems that are preventing any progress is the no matter which release of the SmartStart CD I insert, the CD ROM very briefly (1 - 2 seconds) reads it and then ejects it back at me. Thats the first problem. If I can get past that, I should be good to go.