1752687 Members
5222 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SmartStart Won't Load - Array Not Configured

Kirk Gray
Occasional Advisor

Hmmm...Is it possible that the CDROM drive is defective? It is just an ATAPI cdrom drive and can be easily replaced. Are there any error messages associated with the ejection of the SmartStart CD? And please forgive me for asking, you are using the CD labled Compaq SmartStart for Servers Release 5.1 and not the Compaq Management CD?
Brian_329
Advisor

Yes, it is the SmartStart 5.10 CD. When inserting the CD, the light turns amber. The light flashes twice quickly, ejects the CD and then automatically grabs the CD. The light then flashes twice quickly for the second time and then kicks the CD out at me. I am not sure of the drive type. I wish I knew if it was or wasn't defective. I thought it was fine.
Kirk Gray
Occasional Advisor

The CDROM drive in a Proliant 3000 is ATAPI based, so basically any CDROM from a workstation (as long as it is not SCSI) will work. I would try swapping it out just to see if you can boot from a CDROM, because that seems to be you biggest issue right now.
Brian_329
Advisor

I swapped the CD-ROM and nothing. What could cause a server to be this dead? Can I get the Compaq Array Configuration Utility on 3 1/2 floppy diskette. This has me really puzzled.
David Smith_33
Frequent Advisor

if you have another machine use the cd to make the floppies - takes quite a few but i needed them on my 1850r when i swapped out the hds to larger ones didnt seem to be any way to clear the stored info anyother way .
good luck
dave