1752796 Members
5861 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

SmartStart & Update FW go blank on new DL385G7

FarhadK
Collector

SmartStart & Update FW go blank on new DL385G7

We just received a new DL385G7 server with 64GB RAM, dual 12 core AMD Opteron 6234 processors and 6 x 2TB 7200 SAS drives.

When we try to boot (using a USB external DVD drive) either the included Smart Upgrade Firmware DVD or HP SmartStart version 8.70 x64 the screen eventually goes completely blank (I think when the software tries to enter graphics mode).

We are trying to user Smart Start to setup a logical volume of less than 2TB (not possible with ROM based utility) so that we can install VMWare DSXi 4.1.

If we cannot boot Smart Start, are there other options to create a logical drive that has a user specified size (less than 2TB), we are using RAID5?

I will appreciate any help.

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: SmartStart & Update FW go blank on new DL385G7

IIRC I have seen this already - the reason was a DIMM not properly seated due to transportation (hard to find). I would try with a minimum configuration.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
PGTRI
Honored Contributor

hi,

The other way to create logical drive is in the ORCA of the controller. But there is something wrong, it should work with the Smart Start CD also. Update the BIOS fisrt and try after that to boot from  the Smart Start CD.

regards,

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS!
Dr_Ing_Sosa
Frequent Advisor

Another option is to use the HP Offline ACU disc and then to install VMWare use the HP VMWare disc as it has the HP CIM preloaded.