1752589 Members
4324 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SmartStart and Service Pack for Proliant

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

I see the conents in the ISO extracted but are not bundled into SUM for Installation

HP Insight Diagnostics Online Edition for Linux (x86 32-bit) 8.7.3-5 hpdiags-8.7.3-5.linux.i586.rpm
HP Insight Diagnostics Online Edition for Linux (x86-64) 8.7.3-5 hpdiags-8.7.3-5.linux.x86_64.rpm
HP Array Configuration Utility for Linux 8.75-12.0 cpqacuxe-8.75-12.0.noarch.rpm

Im looking into this and will post here back once I have an answer.

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

As mentioned in the above post , RPMs are listed in the (contents) file,

You won't see them within HP SUM "Repository Contents" window, because HP SUM looks for .EXE and .SCEXE when doing the initial repository "collection", The case of the utilities you are mentioning (and some drivers as well) not showing, its because they are RPM files, so you will not see them here,however rpms are pointed in the manifest file, Therefore, when HP SUM detects you are going to install a Linux operating system, will try to check if this RPMs would be compatible for the Linux distro you are going to install to..

Goutham Sabala
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Goutham_Sabala, your missing the original request from Eric. he's not looking for the online versions of the utlities. Eric is asking now that everything is bundled in the SPP, where can he find the offline bootable versions of ACU and Diags.

I've asked the question to the SPP team and am waiting on a response to pass back to Eric

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Jimmy

Goutham Sabala
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Eric,

While Jim is checking with SPP team, what I understand is , idea of SPP is only driver/utilities + firmware updates, not to also have diagnostic tools.

If the server is Gen7 and before we will have to use

Diagnostics + server configuration + Windows installation = use SmartStart

Driver + software + firmware updates = use SPP

* when ACU version gets updated on HP site, we wil still use the older version of ACU on smart start 8.70 for diagnostic purpose ( as ss dvd will not be updated )

Said this , will wait for Jim to find out with SPP team if they have anything else to say on this.

Goutham Sabala
CE_Woody
Occasional Visitor

I think I see from this string... SPP isNOT a replacement for the Smartstart, and Smartstart will be continued. Is that correct? I think that's what the last post hinted at.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Correct SPP is not a replacement for SMartstart, it is a combination of the PSP Proliant Support Pack and the Firmware DVD...

Smartstart will remain existing for all servers up to G7... From Gen8 on, Smartstart will be replaced with an integrated version inside the iLO...

So Smartstart will also go away one day...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Smart Start will not be continued and will be phased out at 8.70b at the current version that is what I have heard. Gen8s will not use smart start and will boot from a inbuilt software called Intelligent provisioning ( f10 ) which is a replacement of smart start. On g6/g7 and previous current version of smart start can be continued to use.

Goutham Sabala
CE_Woody
Occasional Visitor

OK most reples are suggesting that SmartStart is going away. But so far the next version "Inteligent Provisioning" seems built for installing the OS (future). Smartstart does so much more than that. Off line tools like Diags and ACU, as wells as Clear Config, need to be considered. We have seen the last update for SmartStart, but SPP does not yet include that functionality. Not a question really, but the statement really does raise some questions. I have heard the SPP team is working on it, but have no confirmation. DON'T FORGET ALL OF THE FUNCTIONALITY, WHEN REPLACING SMARTSTART.

epretorious
Regular Advisor

@CE_Woody wrote:

...Smartstart does so much more than that. Off line tools like Diags and ACU, as wells as Clear Config, need to be considered. We have seen the last update for SmartStart, but SPP does not yet include that functionality. Not a question really, but the statement really does raise some questions...DON'T FORGET ALL OF THE FUNCTIONALITY, WHEN REPLACING SMARTSTART.

+1

Eric Pretorious