cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SmartStart assisted install

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

SmartStart assisted install

Trying to install NW5.1 using smartstart assisted install, get as far as copying netware license, re-insert profile disk, click next, click continue then get "smrtstrt" error message "seek failed on", smart start is then hung and have to power cycle. Tried manual install of NW 5.1 get as far as driver install but will not recognise array controller.
6 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: SmartStart assisted install

I am getting the same error when trying to install Win2k on the same server. Have tried firmware upgrade etc but this has not worked. Please assist
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

What Smart Start version are you running? I've had problems with 4.80 on an ML530. Try 4.90 if you havent already.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I'm getting the same problem on a ML530 with a 5300 Smart Array Controller, SmartStart 5 and NT4. The 'SMRTSTRT - Seek failed on' message comes up post interview after the 1st format is partitioned.

Had already upgraded the 5300 controller rompaq to v1.74 (and the P19 family system ROM to 04/10/2001).

Fun, fun, fun.

Anyone have any ideas?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I had a similar issue when trying to install MS WIN NT 4.0 Server to a Proliant 800. Just before the Launch Installation I received the SMRTSTRT dialogue box with the text 'seek failed on'. I changed the CD ROM drive and re-run the smartstart setup after first erasing the system from the failed install. The smartstart installation then ran and completed fine. This may not work for you but it may be worth giving it a go.

Dan
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I thought had finally got rid of the problem after upgrading firmware and using newer version of smartstart, but alas the problem is back with a new server.
ML530 again, have upgraded sys bios firmware, array ctrlr firmware to latest available (it was more recent than I had with the previous problem) but am still experiencing the problem, have tried using 5.0 and 5.10. Anyone got any idea's?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Had the same problem with Smartstart 5.20, Win2000 on an ML570. Solved it by downloading a new server profile diskette from the support files section.