ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748073 Members
5467 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SmartStart doesn't have LINUX as OS Option on my DL380 Install

Oliver Niehues

SmartStart doesn't have LINUX as OS Option on my DL380 Install

I have a DL380, 2.5gbRAM, 2x1.13 PIII Procs, dual 18GB drive, mirrored via 5I controller. had Win2K running fine, want to put linux on it, but when I insert the smartstart cd and click deploy, the only os options are 3 version of windows. What about Linux support, the accompanying readme says it supports it. How am I supposed to install this properly?

Thanks,
Oliver
4 REPLIES 4
James Long_5
Advisor

Re: SmartStart doesn't have LINUX as OS Option on my DL380 Install

You don't say what generation DL380 you have, but it sounds like a G2. You also don't say what version SmartStart you're using.

I have had success with FreeBSD on DL380 and DL380 G2 machines using the SmartStart 5.50 CD and the procedure at the URL below. I think if you follow these steps, and just switch to your bootable Linux installation CD where my procedure says to switch to the FreeBSD CD, you will have a good chance of success.

If not, reply back with where the procedure breaks down for you, and what error messages you see that are not anticipated in the instructions.

Good luck!

http://www.umpquanet.com/support/freebsd_setup.html
Oliver Niehues

Hi, thanks for the qucick response.

I am using a G2, and using SmartStart 7.40.

I found the following documentation that details the proper way to do it on HP's Site, should someone else have this issue, here is the link:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/servers/Linux/rhel4install.pdf

Thanks again,
Oliver

David Claypool
Honored Contributor

SmartStart provides features to assist in configuring hardware such as the RAID array, and in the case of Windows an 'assisted installation' that gathers some information and then calls Windows to do the installation, making it pretty much hands-free from then on.

In the case of Linux, we created an assisted method, but it basically duplicated all the questions and features of Anaconda, so there was no real benefit to it unless we tried to simplify the install process and make some assumptions and decisions for you, which we judged would not be very helpful. We decided not to pursue 'assisted installation' for Linux after that.

By the way, there is a wealth of Linux-related documentation on ProLiant available from the link http://www.hp.com/go/proliantlinux
Oliver Niehues

Thanks for all the help!!!