Re: SmartStart error 59 - ML 350

Azathoth

SmartStart error 59 - ML 350

Sequence of operations to install a new so with manual install:

- launched System Erase
- configured the BIOS
- booted from SmartStart CD
- selected manual install

the system reboots automatically and then (with SmartStart CD in the CDROM drive) the error:

"SmartStart non pu├▓ continuare perch├и non esistono dischi fisici o logici sul controller principale.
Codice errore: 59
E' necessario eseguire la utility System Erase per preparare il sistema in modo da poter eseguire nuovamente SmartStart.
Premere un tasto qualsiasi per avviare la utility System Erase"

Why? he's assuming that aren't any disk but in the post process the SCSI adapter finds 2 disks!
4 REPLIES 4
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Hi Azathoth,

Check the Following CUSTOMER ADVISORY:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=PSD_EA011227_CW01&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Use Smart Start CD if there is any Smart Array Controller installed in the server.

Else Boot from the OS CD and perform the manual installation.

I feel as there is no SmartArray controller installed in the server you might get this error message or The Boot control order is not set properly. In the BIOS ensure that the right controller is set to be the first in the boot control order.

Regards,
Raj.
Azathoth

The controller order is configured as follows:
Contr 1: Slot PCI 6 - SCSI mass storage controller
Contr 2: .. Compaq integrate PCI IDE controller
Contr 3: .. Compaq 64bit dual wide ultra3 SCSI adapter port 1
Contr 3: .. Compaq 64bit dual wide ultra3 SCSI adapter port 2

My purpose is to install linux on this server but modprobing cciss doesn't create the right devices as it should. This is why I'm messing with SmartStart hoping that rebuilding the array will solve my troubles.

I downloaded directly from adaptec a tool to manage the arrays and now I'm rebuilding the disk array.

I really hope this would do something usefull...

Many thanks for the answer,
best regards,
Fabian
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

SSCD isntallation only supports Smart Array Controllers, you have no SS controlelr and should be using the individual driver instead.
Azathoth

What should I do?

Should I forget about all that hw and use linux software driver to have a raid 1 system?