1753784 Members
7229 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SmartStart failure on Proliant 800- REVISED

Arthur_16
Occasional Contributor

SmartStart failure on Proliant 800- REVISED

I own an Proliant 800 since 1998. The original 9GB SCSI HD drive is failing. Today I installed a 120 GB IDE drive and tried to set it up using SmartStart v 4.70, which I have for a my DL380. I tried it with the SCSI and the IDE and I tried it with JUST the IDE installed. Neither SmartDrive will install, nor Red Hat 7.3. If I try RH 7.3 without SmartStart, the machine freezes after selecting a text install and after anaconda reports that it can not probe for a monitor. If I try SmartStart, it barely loads after the SmartStar screen graphic. What do you suggest I try. 212-692-0704 or arthur@bizwiz.co
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor

Hi Arthur,

The Proliant 800 and all our SCSI Based Servers cannot be made to boot from an IDE Hard Drive. The IDE Port is intended only for CD-ROM support.

I have had many Customers attempt this (Boot from IDE) but none have succeeded.

Looks like your only solution is get a replacement SCSI Hard drive. 9.1GB Ultra Wide type may not be available now so you will need to go newer type. Example:

Wide Ultra2 SCSI 9GB 10K RPM Option #387906-B21
Wide Ultra2 SCSI 18GB 10K RPM Option #328940-B21

Ron
There are some people who live in a dream world
Freak Floyd

Ron,

Can you add an IDE HD for storage(ie boot from SCSI, and have data on IDE)?

Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello,
You cannot add IDE to the IDE channel which is meant for the CDROM only. Surely you can add a third party IDE controller and then attach an IDE hdd to it.

Regards,