ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752709 Members
6055 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Smartcard or proliant dl

Hans Witvliet

Smartcard or proliant dl

I would like to replace the internal floppy drive of the dl320/dl360/dl380 by an internal smartcard reader.

However, all 3.5" smartcard readers i found(*)are one inch heigh, while the drive is just a half inch.

Any suggestions?

(*)
Scr333 (from scmmicro)
ACF30 (from acs)
ASEdrive IIIe
Adapter-frames for gemplus
Costar us-777-8
PSR-100-D (beauty)
CPA900
LTC32, LTC24
Manhattan-175210
Mfg#el374AA
2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Smartcard or proliant dl

Why must the reader be internal?
What are you going to use it for?

If you're going to use it for authentication, think again: if someone gets close enough to insert a card to your server, he's also close enough to physically remove one of the server's disks. This will allow many more ways to bypass authentication, whether you use smartcard authentication or not. If you need to install the server in unsecure environment, you must enclose the server so that the enclosure protects both the disks and the cable connections from tampering, while still allowing adequate airflow for cooling.

Most smartcard readers use either PCMCIA, serial or USB connection. Serial-connected ones seem to use a proprietary protocol, relying on drivers to provide a standard API. The situation on PCMCIA readers seems to be the same. Older USB smartcard readers may also use a proprietary protocol, but many new ones use a common USB CCID standard - meaning that new operating systems may handle the compliant readers with no need to install any drivers.

As those server models you mentioned have neither serial nor USB connector available inside the box, you would need to route the cable out of the server and then back to a suitable connector. This may require minor hardware modifications - or an extra PCI card with suitable internal connectors.

Furthermore, ensure you aren't voiding the server's warranty and/or maintenance contract if you elect to install a non-supported internal smartcard reader.

PCMCIA-type smartcard readers might be least "hacky" solution: find a PCI <-> PCMCIA adapter card that will offer one PCMCIA card slot. Insert a PCMCIA card reader into that slot, and you have an internal smartcard reader - unfortunately, the card slot will be located behind the server.
MK
Hans Witvliet

Re: Smartcard or proliant dl

Why must the reader be internal?
Firstly, to give each system its own reader.
Secondly, i dont like the idea of loose reader in a racks full of systems. Safer, more robust.

What are you going to use it for?
Autentication.

If you're going to use it for authentication, think again:

I did: All our staff have allready smartcards. But still use login-ids& passwords for accessing systems.

As those server models you mentioned have neither serial nor USB connector available inside the box, you would need to route the cable out of the server and then back to a suitable connector.

No big deal.

Furthermore, ensure you aren't voiding the server's warranty and/or maintenance contract if you elect to install a non-supported internal smartcard reader.

Good point. Hence my rfc here: For SUN there exists dedicated (read: overpriced) readers.
I was hoping HP had the same for proliant.

As the size of the floppy drive even differs between a dl320 and a dl360 i expect no third-party-reader will ever fit.

PCMCIA-type smartcard readers might be least "hacky" solution: find a PCI <-> PCMCIA adapter card that will offer one PCMCIA card slot. Insert a PCMCIA card reader into that slot, and you have an internal smartcard reader - unfortunately, the card slot will be located behind the server.

Also: it requires each machine to have an empty pci-slot, which is not true for all systems...

Final alternative would be a 19 inch bracket for one or more readers...