3086 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smartstart 7.20 installation utility hanging

SOLVED
Go to solution
martin halford

Smartstart 7.20 installation utility hanging

i am a bit of a newbee to this smartstart stuff, anyway, i have 2 proliant ml370 g4 servers, i boot from the smartstart 7.20 cd and go through the guide to install windows 2003, this all seems fine upto the point when windows first loads, it comes up with a "HP Installation Utility" screen and just sits there. i can use task manager to end task the util, but, does this cause any adverse effects? Does anyone have any ideas as to why this utlilty just hangs?
many thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

It may take a while befor the installation of the HP utilities is done.

How long have you waited?

Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
martin halford

i thought it could take a while so i left it over night! still the same screen in the morning though. can't possibly take this long can it?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Solution

martin halford

yeah, i downloaded 7.30 this morning and it has fixed this issue. thanks for your suggestions on this.
martin halford

ok, the problem is back again!?!?

i had to rebuild the server again due to a config issue with biztalk, anyway, i used the downloaded smartstart 7.30 CD that i used the other day which worked that time, however, this time the original problem has come back where logging onto win2k3 for the first, HP Installation utility starts and hangs. what the hell is going on here?

any more advice on this would be much appreciated.
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

How long have you waited at this screen......it could take up to 15-20 mins at this screen
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
martin halford

yeah, i've already had that question, anyway, left it for at least an hour!
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Martin if you use dual CPU and added additional memories; can you try with Single CPU and Min Memory
Also set all BIOS Settings to default, from advanced Options, Clear NVRAM.

And just to be on the safe side can you run over Firmware CD 7.30 see if there any detected HW needs Updates
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/PSM_subscription.html
s_95

Yeh, I load lots of HP servers using smartstart and win 2000 or win 2003. I get the same problem 1/2 the time. I suspect it happens when hard drives that are over 80GB are used...but not sure. Sometimes it gets past the HP Installation utility in 15-20 mins. Sometimes it takes overnight. Sometimes I have to End Task it or reload it, and it may or may not work with a reload.
BUT, if you end task it you can still load the utility from the smartstart CD. Once you get into Windows, goto the CD and look for the utilities executable file.