ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752579 Members
4066 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smartstart 8.30 x64 doesn't like 2008 iso?

BDay
Frequent Advisor

Smartstart 8.30 x64 doesn't like 2008 iso?

I made a new set of keys using the HP USB Key utility 1.3 and SmartStart 8.30 x64.

I then copied the normal 2008 SP2 ISO to the root of the USB key. The server boots the key perfectly fine, but after choosing where to install, the OS, the media type (DVD) and the format (.ISO), when you actually select the ISO file itself the "Next" button stays grayed out and won't let you continue.

The .ISO in use is;

en_windows_server_2008_datacenter_enterprise_standard_sp2_x64_dvd_342336.iso

Not that I think it matters much, but this is a new DL380 G6.

Has anyone else run into this or am I just lucky today? :) We never ran into this with Smart Start 8.25.

Thank you in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
BDay
Frequent Advisor

Oh and for what it is worth I can mount this ISO and boot a VM with it. I can't imagine it is a bad download from MS if I'm able to do that.
BDay
Frequent Advisor

Ok I guess the server was playing an April's fools joke on me.

Today I put the same ISO on another USB key and put it into another USB slot. So I had two keys in the server, (1) with SS 8.30 x64 & the Windows ISO, and (2) with only the Windows ISO in the root. SmartStart couldn't see the second USB key after a rescan so I rebooted the sever. Upon reboot SmartStart still only saw the first USB key (USB0), but this time when I selected the same ISO it appears to have worked just fine. Although now it is sitting at "Waiting for valid media to be inserted...." so I'm hoping it is just copying the ISO files somewhere and will keep going.

Wierd... really wierd.
BDay
Frequent Advisor

Nada. I redid it again turning off the SNMP and WMI options since I've seen others have issues with these options, but it still just hangs on valid media to be inserted.
tbone72
Frequent Advisor

Try the following:

Select Media Type-> USB
Format -> ISO

When you select Media Type -> DVD, SmartStart is looking for a phyisical DVD inserted into the system. Your media in on USB.

Let us know if that works.
BDay
Frequent Advisor

That is exactly what I am doing.
BDay
Frequent Advisor

I rebooted the box again and went through it again. I wish I took screen shots the first time so you'd believe me, but this time after _again_ choosing USB & ISO it is working. :) This apparently just isn't my week!
Armin Kerl
Frequent Advisor

... when you actually select the ISO file itself the "Next" button stays grayed out and won't let you continue ...

This is Normal.
You have to Press ENTER or move one down with the Cursor to enable it.
Brougham Baker
Occasional Contributor

I got hit by this with 2008R2 RC trying to get that to go. My ISO's are 8.3 named now and it works- I don't know what the limits are but that works