ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753435 Members
4593 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smartstart 8.40 install on SLES 10 SP3 nx_nic problem on ML350 G5

Charles Kunce

Smartstart 8.40 install on SLES 10 SP3 nx_nic problem on ML350 G5

I have an HP Proliant ML350 G5 running Suse Linux Enterpise Server 10 Service Pack 3. I tried to install HP Smartstart 8.4. (first install of any Smartpack) It detected 31 modules to work on, built all but one properly, the nx_nic module. The build log shows a couple of make commands, the Linux Kernel Configuration (y,n,m answers lots of them). At the very end of the log I get:

Make: leaving directory '/src/linux-2.6.16.60-0.60.1'

Executing build command - rpmbuild -bb --clean --rmsource /usr/src/packages/SPECS/nx_nic.spec

error: failed to stat /usr/src/packages/SPECS/nx_nic.spec: No such file or directory

How do I tell if I really need nx_nic? as far as I can tell I have a broadcom nic on the machine but I am worried about some rebranding going on where HP took the broadcom, changed it a mite, the thing identifies itself as broadcom, but needs HP nx_nic drivers for all the Diagnostic / HP specific stuff.
5 REPLIES 5
Bharath_Pingali
Trusted Contributor

Hello Charles,

Just a wild guess, Do you have the kernel source installed?

hope this helps

-Bharath
Charles Kunce

Yup, Yast tells me I have the kernel source and symbols installed.
Charles Kunce

OK,

In /usr/src/packages/SPECS there is a

nx_nic-4.0.516.spec

file with a modified date of October 29th 2009

Is it possible HP's routines are looking for the wrong file ? Would a simple rename fix my problem? This is my one and only server, I can't afford to just play.

Unfortunately, I'm way behind the free 90 day call in even though this is my first attempt at installing this thing.
Charles Kunce

Last,

but not least in the same directory, there is an

hp-nx_nic.spec file

missed that one.
Charles Kunce

It seems to work after applying the latest security kernel patch. So I'll consider it done.