1748111 Members
3805 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smartstart Cd Does not boot System

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Smartstart Cd Does not boot System

To Add to my list of misfortune I now discover that My 2 smartstart Cds dont boot the system on a proliant 800 that i recently upgradedd the BIOS from An ancient 2/24/97 BOIS to the current 4/19/200 (PO2) the SMARTSTART CDs that came with the system are Release 2.40 and 3.30 both of which will not boot the system. Could it be the fact that I installed windows 2000 professional, I read that running system erase utility from diskettes provided at the website would help but I am scared to death of doing this for I am merely a novice at this and I cannot get at the F10 option (WOULD BE GREAT TO RESTORE THIS OPTION) at bootup since the Bois Upgrade ,Perhaps A kind hearted Genius out ther can help. I dont even know what model proliant 800 I have but the serial number is d724bjw30620 and has Duall pentium pro processors , I Implore for a step by step for a dummy THanx to all
6 REPLIES 6
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

If you are still having problems, please provide an e-mail and then I can call you to discuss your isuue.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Yes Mark I could use your help
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

If you run the erase from the floppies it will wipe out everything. DATA DESTRUCTIVE.
Run the erase (if this is an aoption) and try to boot off the smart start. It is not a big deal if you do not have the F10 partition. We can run the F10 from floppies or cd.
One thing you can also try is to jumper the cdrom to MASTER.
Provide me your e-mail address.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanx for your advice and will give it a shot. Keeping in mind that my system boots up using OTHER CDs ,such as windows 2000 cd it probably woudnt be necessary to "Jump Master the CDrom" but just in case how would one do that? I have 2 roms installed and when I used the system configeration utility (From diskettes) I got a red warning label about a master/ slave IDE configeration I can only assume this has something to do with the Cdroms. Could I be right? Any thoughts please let me know. I got your last reply in my email and I anxiously await any advice, thanx for your patience
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

On the back of the cdrom you will see a jumper. It will have 3 options. MA-master, SL-slave, CS-Cable Select. Try Master.
IF you are still having problems, please provide me your phone number.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Look if your Cd drive is a really COMPAQ drive. I had the same problem because my Cd drive was from an other Manufacturer.
Good luck!