ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753861 Members
7610 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smartstart b,\Seek Failedb," error

Mike Jones_12

Smartstart b,\Seek Failedb," error

I???ve been trying to Smartstart a Proliant 6400 after a system erase and install NT4. When going through the smartstart process I get past the hardware configuration, choosing operating system and pre-installation interview without problems. When I get to ???begin installation??? I get a ???Seek Failed??? error. I???ve tried using smartstart versions 5.50 and 5.00. The server was up and running with no apparent problems before I started this process.

Does anyone have any suggestions I could try?
6 REPLIES 6
Paul Sperry
Honored Contributor

I have experienced this problem as well, I found that the SmartStart CD was damaged. When I switched to a new CD, the problem didn't reappear.
Duminda Peiris
Advisor

Duminda Peiris
Advisor

Could be due to faulty CD Rom drive too, pls check...
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Mike,
I need more information: error code, complete error description. Seek operation can fail either on CD-ROM drive or hard disk drive. If no futher info is available, then try:
- replacing CD-ROM drive;
- replacing hard disk drive with CPQ supported disk having CPQ firmware;
- using another SmartStart CD disk.
As soon as you're using SmartStart CD I guess if you'll try to use non-CPQ drive (unsupported drive) then if installation program will try to write (service) data to non-existent location of disk (out of cylinders #, out of sertors # etc) then you'll receive 'can not seek to this track/track does not exist'. So check if this hard disk is supported with your server also. BTW, was previous installation done from SmartStart CD?
Eugeny
Mike Jones_12

Thanks for your suggestions. I tried various smartstart CD???s and changed the CDROM drive also without any success.

I then changed the floppy disk drive and tried a new server profile disk (the third new disk I had used) and everything ran perfectly.

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of a disk read/write problem.
Michael King

Mike,

Thanks for all your help!!! I created a new server profile disk and I was onmy way!!!!

pam