ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753970 Members
7585 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smartstart fails to boot on ML350 G3

Michael Geiling

Smartstart fails to boot on ML350 G3

My new out-of-the-box server with 4 hot-plug-scsi drives fails to boot from the SmartStart CD - the system hangs during the driver loading. This might be related to the message 'A critical error occured prior to this power up' which shows up (but only sometimes) after power-up.
Unfortuately I can not run diagnosticts since this requires some temp. space on the hard disk which is not available.
Would it be possible to boot i.e. W2K and then build the RAID, load the drivers etc. and then run diagnostics?
Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Michael,
While rebooting please wait till to get the prompt to hit F8. At this point just set up the array and thereafter boot with W2K CD. It should work alright.

Regards,
Michael Geiling

Hello Sunil,
when I hit F8 I get some litte menu
HP SCSI cards found:
1. HP Ultra3 Dual Channel at slot 00 port 1
2. HP Ultra3 Dual Channel at slot 00 port 2

Selecting either card I only have the choice of
1. multi initiator configuration (which allows to change the SCSI ID or reset the SCSI bus)
or 2. Tape based ... (which is meaningless since I have no tape drive attached)

So I'm basically stuck since I have no choice/option to setup my RAID.

Is there any other method to build the RAID array ?

Thanks
Michael
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Michael,
Which type of Array controller do you have?? Since array controllers are usually add on options therefore, I would like to know as to which controller did you buy??

Thanks,
PS: The other thing I suspect is may be something is not sitting in properly. You may need to reseat some components/cards in the system.
Michael Geiling

Hello Sunil,

the array controller is on-board and uses an Adaptec AIC-7899W chip. Does this help ?

BTW - I've already checked the connectors and they seem to be ok.

Thanks and regards,
Michael
Michael Geiling

Also: I figure I need to run ACU to build an array; since I cannot boot the SmartStart CD I try to build the disks as mentioned in the Proliant Server setup documentation - unfortunately I can not find the s/w 'dskbldr' as mentioned - any other hints ?

Thanks
Michael