108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Smartstart for 800 P14

Jerry Leinsing
Frequent Advisor

Smartstart for 800 P14

Where do I find
What SmartStart works with what server
This locations doesn't sem to tell me that http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/26_1131.html
Have Proliant 800 P14 and found drivers ROMpaqs and such but don't know what SmartStart to use and it is not here to download. We have several new versions but I am told we should use the one that came with it.
3 REPLIES 3
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Jerry:

More than likely, you need to use Smart Start 5.5 or earlier. Click below for the link to the Smart Start 5.5 CD...

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/ssdownloads.asp

The older servers do not work with the newer Smart Start CD's so you have to use the old 5.5 then once your system is up and running... use a SSD or PSP to update drivers and such.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jerry Leinsing
Frequent Advisor

I am downloading Smartstart 5.50 now and found a 5.40.
Now I find that if I run Smartstart, The screen comes up and I can look at the array and run diags. If I select System Config Utility it hangs at a black screen with "loading sys config, please wait".
Using the F10 at boot to get to System Config 2.58, selecting System config gets to
"Loading Plug and Play Boards, please wait" screen system hangs and must be powered off.

Q1 Should I set the System Config switches to get this BIOS back to factory default? I don't remember which switch, possibly #1 to throw. It is not mentioned on the Server side wall info sheet.

Q2 Will the Flash ROMpaq I just loaded still be present if I do that? I believe it will be and is not reversible.

Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The firmware is not stored in the NVRAM and is stored in the permanent ROM. Clearing NVRAM can be done on this server by turning switch #6 on.

The typical reason for having problems when running the system configuration utility is because of 3rd party hardware installed. If there is any installed, I would recommend removing it, then rerunning the utility.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..