5311 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Smartstart install progress stops at 27% disk appears valid - continuing

Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Smartstart install progress stops at 27% at hpssbem.exe

Hi,

I've just racked 2 new DL380 G7's with the second drive bay installed and both of them are stopping at 27% during the first file copy on the same file (hpssbem.exe). It does say "the disc inserted appears to be valid - continuing" but just stays there. I've updated the fw on the 410i to the latest version with no joy and tried only configuring 2 drives in slots 1 and 2.

The server is using a SAS extender card to connect the second drive bay (drives 9-16) so not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Jase

11 REPLIES 11
mcyte

Re: Smartstart install progress stops at 27% at hpssbem.exe

Hi,

I seem to encounter the same problem. I just tried to install WindowsServer2008R2 on a brand new DL320G6 using SmartStart 8.70x64. Installation (Smart Start, not Windows) hangs at 27% stating it is copying hpssbem.exe. HD configuration is 2xRAID1 on SATA disks with the HP Smart ArrayP410 controller, boot is from CD ROM, Windows is supplied as ISO from SMB server.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks

Michael

Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Hi,

I've now managed to get an OS installed by doing the following :-

Configure the server with Smartstart as required but don't do the OS install with SS

Mount the ISO using the Java Virtual Media applet (not .Net)

Reboot the server and install the OS from the DVD directly

This has worked for me to get the OS on.

Regards

Jase

Zoel Krieger
Occasional Visitor

Smartstart is not compatable with 2008R2 with SP1. the next version of the smartstart tool should be.

Jase4772
Regular Advisor

Hi,

My install media is 2008 R2 without a Service Pack. I've now managed to get it to work by using the Java console with the SS loaded via the virtual media and then selecting a network location for the OS.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Jase

Johan-Lensen

Set the bios setting to default.

I've had this problem to and it works

install with a USB it must faster than DVD. 

GodsAdmin
Advisor

Can you explain exactly what you did?  I'm having this exact issue but don't understand your solution.

How do you access the JAVA console with SmartStart loaded?

I'm using SS 8.70 x64  with WinServer2008R2 SP1

Thanks, C.

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
- Douglas Adams
LWWilks
Occasional Visitor

I discovered after trial and error that apparently the SmartStart 8.70 will continue past the 27% point if you choose DVD as your source for Windows Media. If you choose USB Key, Network Media or any other source other than default "DVD" SmartStart will hang at 27%.

I spent approximatly 45 minutes on the phone with HP Support with the only response was install the Server OS, then install the PSP. From my experience this is not a reliable way to ensure that all the hardware drivers and device management software is installed and find this to be a poor suggestion from HP.

Jase4772
Regular Advisor

When you tried the network media option was that browsing for an ISO? Thats the way mine worked.

torstenj
Occasional Visitor

Take a look at this posting:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/windowsserver2008r2general/thread/8f2664d8-906a-4a5a-95dd-b747213747a3

The problem still exists. (SmartStart 8.7 - Windows 2008 R2 w/o SP1 - DL360 G7)