1753988 Members
6211 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Solaris 8/07 install hangs 97% done on Proliant DL360 G5

altmiket

Solaris 8/07 install hangs 97% done on Proliant DL360 G5

hi,

i'm trying to install solaris x86 8/07 release, on a proliant DL360 G5.

i added the raid drivers on install, and one install completed.

however i was missing the gigabit ethernet drivers, which i downloaded, and did a reinstall of solaris, adding the gigabit and raid drivers during the install.

now with the gigabit drivers, the install gets to 97% complete, and hangs indefinitely.

looks like there was a -very- similar problem with older releases of solaris 10, which supposedly were fixed.

i seem to be running into this same problem now with the latest/greatest release of solaris.

anyone have any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: Solaris 8/07 install hangs 97% done on Proliant DL360 G5

Hello,

HP has drivers for Solaris 10 on a DL360 G5.

Refer:
http://h71028.www7.hp.com/enterprise/cache/493908-0-0-0-121.html
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/6215.html?submit.y=0&submit.x=0тМй=en&cc=uk

Where did you get the other drivers from ?

Regards.

PS:Excuse my knowledge on Solaris, its not my cup of tea !! ;)
altmiket

hey dude - thanks for the reply ;)

i got the drivers i used from the HP site, so they're legit.

turns out that the readme for the network driver mentions something about 'install may hang 16% of the way through' on a solaris x86 install, on an older rev of solaris 10, if they are used during the install itself (solaris will prompt you for extra drivers on install, which i burned to cd and loaded).

they recommend not using them during install, and loading them up after the OS has been installed.

i did this, and finally got solaris installed, and up and running tonight.

so to whoever else is trying to install solaris 10 8/07 release on a DL 360 G5 - don't load the ethernet drivers during the install. install just the raid drivers (if you need them) and then dump the ethernet drivers to usb key (what i used) and pkgadd them to solaris after the install. you can then run 'sys-unconfig' which will reboot, and walk you through the network setup routines. then you'll have a working box.

later!

altmiket

see above
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Wow, I remember some of those problems - also on the older Solaris install, there was a required patch for 64-bit operation and one had to boot 32-bit until it was installed.

I'm _really_ surprised that by 08/07 there wasn't a bnx2 driver in the Solaris base OS. BCM5708's aren't all that rare afterall.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows