New Discussion юеВ

Re: Solaris on DL 380 G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
mjsunil
Advisor

Solaris on DL 380 G3

Hi,

I want to install solaris 8 on DL 380 G2. I have downloaded the driver update(DU) diskette from HP site and the controller is detected. After I select the "solaris interactive" step the server hangs? how do i solve the problem. Has anybody come across this problem.
rgds-mjs
10 REPLIES 10
Roberto Polli
Trusted Contributor

mjs,
nohints about it, sorry!
But why install such an os on a linux-supported machine?
Peace, R.
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor
Solution

eduarde

Why Solaris ? I think it's not a good Unix OS. Almost not such good as NetBSD or OpenBSD.
Generalizing is the general problem
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

huh ? yeah, right....
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

You know when you want to be supported for certain applications there is something called "system requirements" where you have to follow these so-called "system requirements" to have support from the vendor.

As for Solaris not being a good Unix, it's...hum...discutable....
Chris Dobbins

I've come across this problem on both the DL360 G3 and DL380 G3 when trying to install Solaris 8 (not sure which release). When doing an interactive install and the mini kernel starts to load, the servers reset.

If I find anything out, I'll reply again.
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

did you try turning ACPI off ???

that's the trick to load solaris-intel on dl* machines.
mjsunil
Advisor

Hi Olivier,

Thks a ton for your great help. We have managed to install Solaris 8 on HP DL380 G3 by following the procedure from your link. We have disabled ACPI and it works fine now.
rgds-mjs
Chris Dobbins

I followed the instructions for the 2nd item on the Solaris ACPI web page referred to above, with no luck.

I did not see any way to turn off ACPI in the BIOS other than turning Wake-On LAN off - is there some thing I'm missing?