HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solaris on ML370 G1 - smartii driver?

Jason Antman
Occasional Advisor

Solaris on ML370 G1 - smartii driver?

Hello,

I'm looking to put Solaris 10 on a Proliant ML370 (G-1) with a SmartArray 221 controller. I've found out that this controller uses the "smartii" driver, and that it has been removed from Solaris 10 (EOL'd). Has anyone had any success getting such a system to work? Possibly with Solaris 9 drivers?

Thanks,
Jason
Linux System Administrator, Rutgers University, NJ, USA
Sole IT Person (volunteer), Midland Park Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Midland Park, NJ, USA
(My posts or comments here express my own opinion and views only, and have nothing whatsoever to do with those of my employer.)
4 REPLIES
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: Solaris on ML370 G1 - smartii driver?

Hello Jason,

CPQary8.220 DU (Driver Update) Diskette has the "smartii", version 2.20

If I am not wrong, this was used in SOLARIS 8.

Regards,
James.
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hi,

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/2633.html

Version 1.80A has the "smartii" removed.

Version 1.70A is still available.

Regards,
James.
Jason Antman
Occasional Advisor

Maybe I wasn't too clear about the problem.

I have the driver diskettes. The problem is that EISA support has been removed from the kernel starting with Solaris 10, so if I try to install the DU diskette, I get errors about an unknown symbol - nvm_eisa.

So AFAIK, there's no way to load the drivers in Solaris 10. There is also a specific note about this on Sun's site, which states that EISA (and smartii) were removed in 6/06.

Just as a follow-up, though, i was able to find a set of Solaris 9 disks. I think I'll be giving that a shot.
Sole IT Person (volunteer), Midland Park Volunteer Ambulance Corps, Midland Park, NJ, USA
(My posts or comments here express my own opinion and views only, and have nothing whatsoever to do with those of my employer.)
Jason Antman
Occasional Advisor

Solaris 9 9/05 can be downloaded from:

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/9/index.xml