Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution

Andy White_1
Occasional Contributor

Solution

Hello E4Services and Randy,
Thanks for you replies regarding my disk swapping problem. Appologies for not replaying sooner but you know how it is when you have a live system, downtime is rare! I looked on the Powerquest website as advised but could not find anything which really allowed me to do what I wanted. I also tried the diskpart utility but this said I only had a 18.2GB disk in there and that there was no free space to expand into (even thought there were two 72.8GB disks in there!). I eventually decided to use Symantec Ghost 7.5 to take an image of the system (as a backup). I then hot swapped the 72.8GB disks for the 18.2GB disks - this worked! - probably because the system thought the 72.8GB disks were only 18.2GB disks anyway. I then took another Ghost image of the now 18.2GB disks for migration purposes. I then Smart-Started the two 72.8Gb disks and built a mirrored pair using the array config utility. Once that was setup I Ghosted the migration image from the 18.2GB disks back onto the 72.8GB disk allowing Ghost to automatically re-size the partitions itself (for some reason when I tried to set my own sizes for the partitions it fell over everytime it moved onto the second partition..) The upshot of all this is that I now have 36GB of disk on my data partition, and I suppose I can always use Powerquests Volume Manager to resize the 16GB system and 16GB swap partitions if I need more. A big thanks to you both for your input and I will bear the dispart utility in mind in the future as it sounds very handy.

Cheers,
Andy
;-)
1 REPLY
Andy White_1
Occasional Contributor

Re: Solution

Oops - I've flamingo'ed up, meant to post a reply to my 'disk swapping for the insane' question but ended up doing a new post. Sorry folks.... Can the moderator please delete this post and I'll put the reply in the right place...

Ta :-!