1752793 Members
6088 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion ī„‚

[Solved] Proliant G6 -Change Failed SAS Disk

khaled_jamel
Occasional Contributor

[Solved] Proliant G6 -Change Failed SAS Disk

hi, i have a proliant 380 G6 server with 6 / 146 G 10K SAS disks, today an orange permanent LED is activated on one of those disks. searching on hp website i found that this mean that the disk must be changed as soon as possible, the problem that 146G 10k compatible with G6 servers  is not available there is only 300G disks. my questions is can i replace this disk with a 300 G 10 K disk (it will be used as a 146 G disk?) and how can i change the disk? online or offline?

thanks

P.S. This thread has been moved from Servers>General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). -HP Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
khaled_jamel
Occasional Contributor

Re: Proliant G6 -Change Failed SAS Disk

Looks like my post has been moved to the correct forum.  Thanks

Just I got an answer from our local HP Tech Services that I can just change the failed disk with another compatible disk even if it is a 300 Gb disk, the RAID Card will put the new disk on the same level of other 146 disks and on the same speed and will rebuild lost data.

Thanks and any other information is welcome

waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: Proliant G6 -Change Failed SAS Disk

Glad you found the solution. Yes, you can use a larger drive to replace a failed disk. Even though HP might not list the 146GB drives anymore, many resellers probably still carry them.

I've used the ability to replace drives with larger ones to my advantage many times... Let's say you start out with a pair of mirrored 72GB drives, and then your disk usage grows and you're low on space.

Replace each drive, one at a time, with 146 or 300 GB drives, let it rebuild, and then replace the other one. Once all drives have been upgraded and it's rebuilt the parity data, you can extend the size of the logical volume to use the extra space. And then do the same in the OS, extending the partition to use the full size.

Quick and easy way to add drive capacity.