5867 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Some physical memory not available

Bill_185
Occasional Advisor

Some physical memory not available

Hello,

I have a DL380 G2 server. I recently upgraded it from 2 Gig RAM to 4 Gig, and Windows sees only 3898908 Bytes of physical memory. During bootup the BIOS also shows the same amount. I did the math, and it seems about 256 Meg of RAM is disapearing. Does anyone know why?

Thank you for your help!

--Bill
13 REPLIES 13
kamal_9
Super Advisor

Hi Bill
pls check for the bus speed in the bios .like 100or133 mhz or so
Are you sure both the memory is of same speed &type like registered ecc
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Bill,
Please have a look at the following links:

Search for info on the boot.ini switches /PAE, /USERVA(:3030), and /3GB.

from MS : "...using only the /3GB switch allocates 1 GB to the kernel and 3 GB to the User-mode space."

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;268363
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316739
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283037

Regards,
Bill_185
Occasional Advisor

Thanks to all for your suggestions. The links were informative. However I still have the problem. I neglected to mention that I├в m running Windows 2000 Server. Also, I am not missing an entire bank of RAM, I am ├в only├в missing 256 Meg, which is a fraction of one module. Also, during boot-up the BIOS also reports less than 4 Gig RAM, so I don├в t think it├в s a Windows issue at all.

I had a Fujitsu laptop once which used a Transmeta (RISC) processor, and 16 Meg of RAM was taken by the BIOS to load the CPU├в s Intel-emulation microcode, and that RAM never appeared in Windows. This is a known behavior with Transmeta processors, and I wonder if the BIOS in my DL380 G2 is also reserving some RAM for its own uses (diagnostics?). I haven├в t been able to find any mention of this in the docs.

Thanks again for your help and hopefully I will get som
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Bill,

Don't forget the Hotplug Ressources Reservation which takes up some memory during post ( up to 40MB per hotplug slot used)

Regards,
Bill_185
Occasional Advisor

Thanks very much, that must be it!
Bill_185
Occasional Advisor

Sorry I may have spoken too soon. We have 2 other DL380├в s and neither one is exhibiting this behavior - we are seeing the full RAM available in Windows. One has 2-Gig RAM and the other has 3-Gig, all using 512-Meg modules. Only the 4-Gig box is missing some RAM. It contains four 512-Meg modules plus the two 1-Gig modules which we just add
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Bill,
Just a thought. Is all the RAM HP/COMPAQ?? If it is then could you please post the part nos??

Regards,
Doug Wogan
Regular Advisor

Maybe you have a memory stick going bad? Is it possible to grab one of the sticks of memory out of one of your other two G2's and systematically replace each one in your server reporting 3.8G? I would not use the /3GB switch in your boot.ini file unless your application on the server supports it. Such as a dedicated SQL or Exchange server. /PAE switch is for systems using more than 4G of physical memory.
Bill_185
Occasional Advisor

Sunil: They are genuine HP/Compaq parts, # 127008-041.

Doug: I thought about swap-testing also, but 2 of the 3 are production servers and can├в t be taken down except late at nigh