1753726 Members
4509 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Spawn error: Exec format error running hwdisx-2.exe

Marc Dupras
Occasional Advisor

Spawn error: Exec format error running hwdisx-2.exe

I have a Proliant 8500R server. I have Smartstart CD Release 5.50.

I boot up the server with the CD in and no array setup. I eventually get to the Loading Smartstart. Please wait. Then it'll flip between this screen and the picture of smartstart. Eventually I get the error "Spawn error: Exec format error running hwdisx-2.exe"

It eventually continues and does the same thing of showing the loading smartstart screen. I let it go for a while and eventually I got a message saying "spawn error: argument list too long for win.com An unrecoverable error occured while running Smartstart. Error code 13. Press any key to continue. I press any key, the server reboots and I am stuck in the same loop.

The Compaq System Bios is P42(10/19/2001)

Now I am rather new at setting up compaq proliant servers. I'll try and answer any questions of missing information in my post asap.

TIA
7 REPLIES 7
KiranKumar_2
Frequent Advisor

Hi Marc,

You can download the latest version of Systems ROMPaq Firmware from the following link and follow the installation procedure.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/18330.html
ramesh_naik_
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Marc,

Try these options:
- Clear NVRAM, preferrably using an Erase diskette.
- Strip down the unit to it's simplest configuration, starting with third party adapters, then memory (even if it is Compaq memory.)
- Rotate the memory left in the system, even if only third party memory is available.
- Try another Smartstart CD, if possible.

Hope this works!!!!!

Regards,
rmn
Marc Dupras
Occasional Advisor

Ok - So I have tried several things this morning and now here is where I stand.

I noticed that one of my SCSI drives show a red led. I assume it may be dead. I removed it and now I have 3 SCSI drives. They are all the same size and brand etc. I have them in slot 0 ,1 ,2 (3 is empty)

I get to a screen that eventually says "An unrecoverable error occured while running smartstart. Error code 24. The system erase utility must be run to prepare the system to run smartstart again. Press any key to start the system erase utility.

I pressed any key and it did it's thing and I reboot the server. It eventually comes back to this same screen and continues to loop to this screen.

So a couple of questions.

1. Do I need to setup a drive array to be able to use Smartstart?
2. At the beginning of Smartstart it gives me the option of "Press f10 to run Quick Configuration Options" Which then leads me to a 2 option menu of a. Configure System - b. Configure system and create system partition.
I have tried both and it does not seem to help me get any further. Do I need to even go into this option on a fresh install using Smartstart?
Marc Dupras
Occasional Advisor

Also I forgot to ask.

"An unrecoverable error occured while running smartstart. Error code 24. The system erase utility must be run to prepare the system to run smartstart again. Press any key to start the system erase utility. "

What is causing this to occur?
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Marc,

1. Do I need to setup a drive array to be able to use Smartstart?

2. At the beginning of Smartstart it gives me the option of "Press f10 to run Quick Configuration Options" Which then leads me to a 2 option menu of a. Configure System - b. Configure system and create system partition.
I have tried both and it does not seem to help me get any further. Do I need to even go into this option on a fresh install using Smartstart?

3."An unrecoverable error occured while running smartstart. Error code 24. The system erase utility must be run to prepare the system to run smartstart again. Press any key to start the system erase utility. "

Wondering the reason for re-deploying the server?Was there a system crash or anything else?

SRH
Marc Dupras
Occasional Advisor

Actually, it's an older server that we have that is not being used. We are going to set it up for a knowledge base server.

If a memory module or something similar were the problem wouldn't I get a post startup error mentioning something about it?
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

I have seen instances where a faulty memory is not reported unfortunately.
Is there a possibilty to take out modules and try?

SRH