New Discussion юеВ

Specifying boot device on Proliant DL380G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Specifying boot device on Proliant DL380G3

Hi All,

Is there a way you can specify the boot order for a Proliant DL380 G3 server so that it boots of a RAID 1 array consisting of two 18GB (size is irrelavant)in slot 2 & 3. It seems the server likes to boot only from a RAID set using slots 0 & upwards.
The server uses the dafault Smart Array 5i Controller.

Thanks,
4 REPLIES 4
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: Specifying boot device on Proliant DL380G3

Hi,

Dout is there , But Proliant servers cme with If raid is healthy then you can move from one slot to another both the hdd. then also it will boot. If that's what you are looking for or you can explain exact informaiton.

regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Proliants with Raid controllers boot off the following order
- Boot Controller (in your case 5i)
- Logical drive 1
- active partition in logical drive 1.

It is slot independent, so if you are configuring a new server make sure that the RAID 1 is the first logical drive you configure
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hey Guys,

Its a production host and not a server that we are about to configure.Now, as Vijay says, after the boot controller, its the 1st logical drive, what if you want to make the 1st logical drive as data drive and logical drive 2 as the system drive? We currently have logical drive 1 as system and logical drive 2 as data. We would like to have the ability to swap them around, i.e boot from array B (logical drive 2, i.e. slots 2&3).

Hope, this clears it!

Cheers!
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor
Solution

You cannot set Logical drive 2 to be the bootable logical drive. There is a work around to change logical drive number 2 to logical drive number 1; it may work - check out customer advisory - http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=EX000818_CW01.xml&dt=3

The other workaround it to boot off an NT boot disk and edit boot.ini to boot off logical drive 2 - but they you are always booting off the floppy :-(

I am trying to understand What is the purpose of the exercise?
- You mentioned that you have OS on logical drive 1 and data on logical drive 2(hopefully they are under different arrays). So how are you going to boot off the second logical drive if id does not have os. Fill us in.....and don't forget the backup
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!