1753516 Members
5245 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Spectre and Meltdown

RLFNetserv
Occasional Visitor

We are in the same boat.  DL360 Gen9's running 2.54 bios, VMware esxi 6.5 with the patches applied, and VM-guest Windows OS' with the Patches/Registry entries, rebooted multiple times.

In-guest Get-SpeculationControlSettings gives the followingCapture.PNG

CVE-2017-5754 is all green

CVE-2017-5715 shows no hardware support.  Recommendation is to "Install BIOS/firmware update provided ...".

I tried upgrading a VM to hardware v13, no change.

Robert Hawle
Advisor

Vmware released new Patches:

here is the microcode we have bben waiting for...

https://esxi-patches.v-front.de/ESXi-6.0.0.html

https://esxi-patches.v-front.de/ESXi-6.5.0.html

happy patching

RLFNetserv
Occasional Visitor

Got it working!  Upgraded my VC Appliance, patched the hosts, and still was showing unprotected.  Powered off, and on the VM, it's now all green.

Robert Hawle
Advisor

same here after Patch and PowerOFF/On all are green.

PeterGriffin
Occasional Visitor

Again, the main Question: What about Firmware Updates for Gen7 Servers and below?

Sorry, but the update process of a Gen9 doesn't matter. Now, everyone knows that nobody needs an entitlement, but needs a statement if an update will be released for older hardware and when does it happen. 

StubRouting
Occasional Visitor

Thanks...

DataCzar

When will the GEN7 patch be available?  Im scrambling here...

PeterGriffin
Occasional Visitor

Ok, despite i have the same question, i think i can give the right answer. Up to now, Intel said they‘ll patch every CPU which was released 2013 and later. Since G7 servers usually have older CPUs (mine have Westmere CPUs), HP won‘t be able to patch them.
QuiteTrite
Occasional Visitor

You obviously don't understand HP's licensing and profit model.  G6 and G7 are so far out of support that you can get an almost fully populated DL360 G6 for less than $300 pretty much anywhere.  Unless you're willing to pay more than that (3-4 times as much as that, actually) for support, they could care less that you have problems with the hardware.  The answer is to upgrade your hardware and repeat the cycle in another three years.

Robert Hawle
Advisor