3731 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Spectre and Meltdown

Robert Hawle
Advisor

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00039267en_us

also HP pulled back their Bios 2.54 for Gen9...

Kent Blair
Occasional Visitor

@QuiteTrite

OK so can I assume you are using sarcasm? Your statement is kind of ridiculous, servers and infrastructure replacement isn't quite the same as sheeple jonesing the latest iPhone. The amount of G6 and G7 kit still in service in IT/IS departments is enormous. Even when you replace critical performance components and servers most IT departments will frequently re-purpose for lower performance requirements and cold type storage. That's why you can still buy HP Carepacks for G7 gear and I suspect you could probably find carepacks for G6 kit too.

Please put me down for notification of G6 and G7 mitigation of the Spectre vulnerability for BIOS ROM updates please.

alextrippa2
Occasional Visitor
grinningdevil
Frequent Advisor

Perfect ! 

So now we have Dell pulling back their updates, HPE pulling back their G9 updates ( G8 still under investigation), and no news from HPE on Gen 7 (coordinating with HPE TAM on our end ). Cisco on their hand have played safe, no updates till 18th Feb 2018 ! 

We have hundreds of Gen 7 servers in production !! 

And ideally speaking, Gen 7 was retired on 30th April 2013 - so the support with regard to critical patches should be entertained till 30th April 2018 ... no ?! 

alextrippa2
Occasional Visitor

Got a link to the Dell pulls?

kiwiant

If HP is unable to patch, opts not to patch or is waiting on updates from Intel this needs to be listed in the CUSTOMER BULLETIN.

Marco4

Hello, we updated three DL360 Gen9 with latest 2.54 BIOS. Now Intel and HP say this BIOS (microcode) is buggy. How can we revert to 2.52? We cannot get it since BIOS 2.52 is not available for free download while 2.54 was.

grinningdevil
Frequent Advisor

I guess wait for HPE to release their next good version, and then patch again...
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

this new microcode may cause problems, but maybe it works for you.

HPE does not say what to do if you already have this version ...

however, check what version your backup ROM has and consider to revert.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!