3645 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SpeedStep on DL360 G5

Dave338
Occasional Advisor

SpeedStep on DL360 G5

Hello people :)

I have two machines of this type with similar processors, one has a Xeon 5140 and the other a pair of 5150's

They are working for about two months without problems, but I have noticed they exhaust air extremely hot, so after inspecting them I've seen that they always are working at full speed. I know that these processors support EIST, so they should be able to reduce their speed to multiplier 6 (and reduce voltage and warm), but they are not doing that.

I was wondering if it's possible to configure EIST on this machines, and if yes how it can be done. Selecting minimal power administration in control panel has no effect, it continues at full throtle.

Thanks ;)
6 REPLIES 6
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Dave338
Occasional Advisor

That means that I must use/run/purchase (no idea) the iLo thing to use something that is implemented at hardware level in the CPU??? something that any motherboard on the market does simply activating in the BIOS???

If there isn't another way, excuse me, but this is a bit disappointing.

So much time and insecurity to test in working servers.

salu2
Dave338
Occasional Advisor

Hey, I have found another document.

It seems more recent and says that can be adjusted in normal ROM (BIOS).

Here is:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00593374/c00593374.pdf

Salu2.
Ryan Goff
Valued Contributor

What power profile do you have configured in Control Panel?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

This functionality is available from the iLO2 that is an intrinsic part of your G5 server. No additional licensing is required.
Dave338
Occasional Advisor

In control panel I have tried all options (the une it should be is minimal power administration) but no luck. It must be configured at full power in BIOS.

I will test the iLo when I have a moment to see If I can configure it fast. The bad is that I think server have to be restarted to take effec.

Salu2.