1748200 Members
3526 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Split Mirror Cloning

dancoyote

Split Mirror Cloning

Hi,

I'm trying to create an image of a DL360 G4 Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server onto a DL360 G4p.

I've managed to do this across same-platform Proliant servers in the past by breaking the mirror on a production server, and using that disk to build the new server.

Problem is, the servers have moved-on a platform since I last did this, and my attempt to split mirror from G4 to G4p fails.

The G4p fails to boot, with what appears to be an array controller driver issue.

Has anyone successfully achieved this?
Is there a recommended approach, or do I just bite-the-bullet and build my new TS server from scratch (please don't make me!)?

TIA
Dan
7 REPLIES 7
raadek
Honored Contributor

Re: Split Mirror Cloning

DL360 G4 & G4p have different motherboards, but integrated SA-6i is exactly the same, as long as your G4p is SCSI, not SAS.

If you have SAS version then try to install SAS controller drivers BEFORE moving your hard drive.

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
dancoyote

Thanks for that raadek.

To clarify a little further...
It's not a SAS server
G4p blue screens with 'STOP 000007b' message.
which indicates 'Device Driver Issues' according to MS (I had presumed this was related to the array controller).

Since it is not the array controller, any advice on which driver(s) needs replacing?

Thanks,

Dan
raadek
Honored Contributor

Could you just boot into safe mode & then try to install all G4p specific drivers?

Rgds.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
dancoyote

fraid not. Safe Mode / VGA mode, etc don't work. Only the do not auto reboot... one.
raadek
Honored Contributor

So one more lucky guess - did you upgrade SA-6i controller firmware version to the latest one?
Don't panic! [THGTTG]
dancoyote

Yep, used Insight Manager on the G4 to patch everything prior to pulling the disk.
dancoyote

OK,

Whilst monitoring the mirror rebuild on the source server (G4), I noticed that its array controller is a 5i. The G4p is a 6i.

Downloaded the latest 5i/6i driver from HP.

Booted from WS03 CD and did the F6 thing.

Low-and-behold a working cloned TS server.

Happy days!