108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Split Mirrored Array on DL380 G4 w/6i controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ron Gemma
Occasional Contributor

Split Mirrored Array on DL380 G4 w/6i controller

I have a DL380 G4 with the integrated Samrt Array 6i controller. It has two drives configured in a RAID 1+0 array. I would like to split the array but I can't seem to find that option either with the Windows based ACU or the one available on the boot CD.

Is it possible to split this array and if so how?

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
tristanv

Hi Ron,

Make sure you have the latest firmware on your SmartArray 6i controller and use SmartStart 7.30 CD that you can download from www.hp.com/go/ssdownloads
(SS7.40 has an issue with ACU that is documented in the support document number c00586175 . Go to www.hp.com and do a search for the document number)
The 'split mirror' feature is documented in the ACU user's guide and is an off-line process (boot from SS required).

Hope it helps.

Tristan
Ron Gemma
Occasional Contributor

Tristan

Thanks for the input. I had read the ACU help file about the split mirror feature but it did say it wasn't supported on all RAID controllers. I did contact HP after I started the thread and they did confirm that the 6i controller doesn't support the mirror splitting feature.

So I'm stuck with trying do this some other way. What I have done now is that I installed a new array with a single RAID 0 drive to it. Then I used Ghost 2003 to copy the image from the Raid 1+0 logical drive to the new Raid 0 drive.

I decided I want to remove the RAID 1+0 drives and run this system on a single RAID 0 drive. My question now is how do I get the system to boot from the newly imaged drive?
Basil Vizgin
Honored Contributor

I splitted array on 6i (DL380 G4) without a problem with offline process some time ago.
So try to boot from SmartStart and use ACU...
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Solution

Ron if you read info for 6i
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/8924.html

2. Added split-mirroring support and a mirroring re-synchronization feature. This allows a RAID 1 volume to be split into two RAID 0 volumes and then combine the two RAID 0 volumes into a single RAID 1 volume.

Ron Gemma
Occasional Contributor

Latest firmware update 2.58 A 7/10/05 provided split mirro functionality for the 6i RAID controller.
Thanks everyone.