1753947 Members
7611 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Stand by proliant 8500r

Derrick Slade
Occasional Contributor

Stand by proliant 8500r

Bit new to this, is there such an operation as stand by for my server;-shuts down but will re-start on demand,without going through all the boot up system?
Derrick
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Derrick,

I'm not sure I understand what you need.

Do you mean something like Wake-On-Lan (WOL), where a system can be started by sending "magic packets" over the network to its NIC. WOL is supported by the NICS on the PL8500.

You can also fit an optional Remote Insight Board (RIB) to the server which will allow full control (and console visibility) over a LAN. This can power the server on and off for example using a Web-based interface.

Perhaps if you could explain a bit more regarding what you are trying to achieve.

Brian

Derrick Slade
Occasional Contributor

hi! brian thanks for your reply.
My network server is installed in a small office where I work at home.I have got the heat problem under control now but the noise is still a problem at night. as the server is always running in the back ground for the telephone system,;-fax-answearphone- data tranfers-internet-etc at the moment it gets little use at night but still has to be available.
As I am not too technical I have to depend on the advice of those that are-you fit the bill!So I would like the server to hibernate during allocated times (flexable on this)but the ability to wake up by external stimulation :- fax-data-etc coming in,without having to go through the whole boot-up sequence (bit like monitors do).
hence hopefully all the fans do not need to operate in this state (as they are the main problem-hovercraft comes to mind),
If this can be addressed it will probably save my marrage as well as my sanity.
Thanks Derrick
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Derrick,

A lot of hard work went into designing the Proliant 8500 server, which is an Enterprise model (Top of the Range in its day).

One of the design features is the cooling therefore there will always be noise associated with this model since it supports up to 8 CPU's.

There is no feature that will reduce the fan noise other than the health driver which gets loaded with the product support pack for whatever O/S you have loaded. That's it I'm afraid. I'm not sure that the PL8500 even supported fan speed reduction through the driver as it might have been too old at the time this was introduced.

Hiberation won't really help you here, sorry. Perhaps a more suitable size of server is the answer.

Brian
Derrick Slade
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Brian ---worth a try, looks like more sound proofing.
Derrick