4406 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Standalone disk unreadable by Smart Array

Richard Rayner
Occasional Advisor

Standalone disk unreadable by Smart Array

Hi,

i have a G2 proliant DL380. i'm trying to use a SCSI disk which has important data on it, that's never been part of any RAID configuration.

it seems that the smartarray wont see the drive unless i add it to a logical drive, thus wiping the disk.

i've tried this on many servers with many raid controllers and it works fine, this just doesnt seem sensible to me.

the nice helpdesk person didnt seem confident when he said this couldnt be done, can someone just confirm this?

in essence, i'd expect to be able to boot to a standalone hot plug hard disk plugged into the raid controller by iteself, without having to wipe it!

else i'm forced to buy a new scsi controller, and one of them horrid SCA>68pin converters just to be able to see the disk.

any help appreciated

Rich
5 REPLIES 5
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Helpdesk person was correct but not confident i can say.

where as can you provide me the information fo r that 68 pin convertor for connecitng hdd on server

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Richard Rayner
Occasional Advisor

hi,

not entirly sure what you're asking me, but i'll do my best to answer.

if the smart array 5i cannot have a standalone disk added to it without first wiping the drive, which is VERY poort in my opinion, then i'd have to connect it to another controller and copy the disk across to an empty logical drive created on the smart array.

since the disk is a compaq one (came from an older proliant 1600 tower) is has the same hot-plug 80pin interface, if i need to add another scsi controller to read this disk, it will have a 68 pin connector, and i'll need an SCA converter with is an ugly adapter that converts hot plug drives to fit a standard scsi cable without a backplane.

these items can be found on ebay or various computer stores.

if this doesnt answerr your question, perhaps you could rephrase it for me.

thanks!
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I am talkin about that converter only do you have any link on that which can give further details on same.

Where as hdd for pl 1600 and dl series are very much different Will that be installed from pl1600 to dl 380 cage. I suppose no. Where as when we are refering to converter we can use it i suppose not under any raid on any controller but not under SA.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Richard Rayner
Occasional Advisor

Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Thanx Man.
Nothing is impossible