7846 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Starting DL360 G6 without fully redundant fan setup

fr00d
Occasional Visitor

Starting DL360 G6 without fully redundant fan setup

Hey there,

I've found multiple helpful posts in here and I hope you can help me with this problem, aswell.

I do have a dl360 g6 server with two cpus which maybe has a broken fan slot #4. Because of this the server is not starting at all. I found this advisory but I already have iLO 2 Firmware 2.23 installed:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02037272-1%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Can you give me a hint what I can to do start this server without redundant fans? What's a redundant fan setup for if the server stops working when only one fan element is not working anymore?

regards

Andi

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro

Re: Starting DL360 G6 without fully redundant fan setup

Ensure that fans are populated at a minimum in fan1 and fan 2 and remove all components such as all expansion cards, riser cards and check if the server powers on. If so, then add one component at a time and power on the server to isolate component that could cause thermal issues.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

fr00d
Occasional Visitor

Hi,

the server is not at my site, but in the datacenter. They tried to check which of the fans is broken and changed the slots of the different fan modules. It looks like something is broken with fan slot 4 and at the moment I think the fan element in slot 1 has a problem. Do I need to replace the systems mainboard when fan slot 4 is reporting an error with every fan module, even with one which works in another slot?

I do have a replacement server which is on his way to the datacenter at the moment. Therefore I need to wait until they send me the broken server back. Then I'll provide further information.

regards,

Andi

TVVJ
HPE Pro

If none of the known working fans work in that slot, then the issue is most possibly with the slot on the system board.

If a known working fan can be swapped on to slot 1, it would be helpful to determine if they are working or if either the fan is defective or the slot on the system board is defective.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo