1748150 Members
3465 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Stop Error on Windows 2000 Server Install

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Stop Error on Windows 2000 Server Install

I don't know what I'm doing wrong here, but I can't get Win2k to install on my ML370...1GB RAM...3200 RAID...newest firmware on server and RAID controller. Have tried booting to Win2k CD, running setup thru NT4, tried original CD, tried slipstreamed SP1 CD, and I keep coming up on the same roadblock:

STOP ERROR: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (0x0), which MS reports as being a divide by zero error and blames hardware. I do not believe there is anything wrong with the hardware; it's been running NT4 for months, and still does, when I'm not trying to install 2000 on it.

Any pointers? Am I alone on this one?
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The two install problems I have seen w/ 2k was one was the darn powermanagement software, the other was my SCSI card. I had a PC with an adaptec card and seagate hard disk. I couldn't install 2k pro on it because setup wouldn't recognize either the card or the disk. If I copied the files to the drive from dos and ran the install it was fine. Go figure.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Update.

Ran System Erase Utility and then used the Smartstart CD to install Windows 2000 fresh -- no problem, worked like a champ.

Ran System Erase again, and used smartstart to install NT 4, installed SP6a, upgraded the NT4 compaq apps, updated the sys config util and the server diagnostics, set the OS to "windows 2000" in the sys config, ran primer.exe, reapplied SP6a, tried to upgrade to Win2k, and boom -- STOP 0x0, UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP. This does not bode well for my Windows 2000 migration. Not at all. I did everything by the book, as far as I can tell.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

http://www5.compaq.com/partners/microsoft/windows2000/support/servers.html

Looks like they have a utility that can take out some of the files installed by SSD under NT prior to installing W2K.

I've had nothing but problems trying to upgrade from NT to Win2k so far.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The Microsoft upgrade from NT 4.0 to Windows 2000 OS requires that you have a generic install of the NT 4.0 OS. This means that all the Compaq installed CIM software and agents must be removed from the NT 4.0 OS before you perform the Windows 2000 OS upgrade. Download the Windows 2000 Primer Utility from this web page, to prepare the NT 4.0 OS for a Windows 2000 upgrade.

http://www5.compaq.com/partners/microsoft/windows2000/support/servers.html