1751914 Members
5344 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Stop Error on bl20p

Allen Simmons

Stop Error on bl20p

I just purchased the bl20p and the blades are receiving a stop error 0x0000007b
I am installing server 2003 standard with a usb cd/dvd.
Please help!
9 REPLIES 9
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Allen:

Do you have a Windows Server 2003 CD with SP1 integrated into it? If so, try that.

If not, try the iLo's Virtual Media option. Attach to the iLo from a workstation with a CD-ROM drive, mount the CD to the virtual cd-drive and boot up the server. Watch the process with the remote console or if you have the dongle with console access.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Allen Simmons

Sorry to sound "lame" - however - I am using the front port on the server blade and accessing the blade with the given I.P. address. I have the usb drive attached to the front access port dongle usb. How do i hook it up to the back ILO port? it appears to be ethernet?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You don't.

Using a Laptop or another server WITH a cd-rom drive.... attach to the ilo web interface. You need to either have a crossover cable plugged into the front port and set your workstation to 192.168.1.2 OR, attach the back iLo port to a network that has dchp, go to the dhcp server and find the IP that the ilo grabbed...

...and web browse the IP on the workstation... https://

Once in, you have full access to the advanced iLow functions. You can use the local workstations floppy or CD-rom drive as a virtual drive for the server, or even an iso image of the CD. Once mounted, you can boot the server using the mounted virtual CD. In this case, you may want to use the Smart Start CD, or you can try the Windows 2003 CD first, your choice, both should work.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

And you don't sound lame, just inexperienced with the hardware. Is this your first blade?

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Allen Simmons

Sure is, I am a stand-alone server guy, but disaster recovery, business continuity pushed me into the blade server architecture. Besides the CFO my Boss loves technolgy as much as me and wants to become the standard of technology for all cooperatives :) This is definitely a new realm though.
i will try the other method in the morning and get back to you then. Thank you very much for your kind assistance!
Allen
Director of I.T.
Coos-Curry Electric Cooperative, Inc.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Allen:

Though probably a bit out of scope at this point, there is some software that allows you to remotely deploy blade servers. If you see yourself and/or the company buying more of them, you should definitely look into it. HP has a package called RDP, Rapid Deployment Pack. It allows you to remotely deploy, either scripted installations or Imaged setup's, of Windows and Linux based Operating Systems. It also allows you to deploy VMware.

Take a look at " http://www.hp.com/servers/rdp " for more information. You probably already have the needed licenses as they are usually sold with the blade enclosure.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Allen Simmons

I tried both methods, the front maint. port and the ILO port in the back and the same error on both for all 7 blades?
I do very much like the ILO interface and functionality.
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

As Steven suggested, try a Server 2003 SP1 media.

There is a known problem with USB CD-ROM installation and pre-SP1.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883114

Ole Thomsen
Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

....and AFAIR the virtual media is mounted as USB.

Ole Thomsen