cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage issue with Compaq Proliant 800

Erik Myllymaki
Occasional Visitor

Storage issue with Compaq Proliant 800

I have a Proliant 800 with a Mylex Accelraid card in it. It boots from a 0+1 SCSI160 Raid array. There is an IDE CD-ROM on the on-board ide controler. THere is a Plextor CDRW and a Seagate DDS4 tape drive on the on-board SCSI channels.

I want to add a large Maxtor 200GB ide drive to the machine for backup. The bios will not recognize it on the on-board IDE channel. So, I installed a mAxtor IDE Drive controler. It sees the drive at startup and when I go into the BIOS, I see the controller and am able to switch the boot order so that the Mylex controller is in boot order #1. But, when I restart and try and boot, I get "Non-system disk or disk error". I shut down and take the Maxtor controller and drive out and I can boot up normally from the Mylex RADI array again.

Any suggestions appreciated.
2 REPLIES
Erik Myllymaki
Occasional Visitor

Re: Storage issue with Compaq Proliant 800

Got confused - this issue is with a Proliant ML350, not a Proliant 800. Everything else is correct in the above post.
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Storage issue with Compaq Proliant 800

This has been a common problem, because these IDE controllers assume they are the boot device and will step in front of the SCSI BIOS load as the boot device. You need to check with Maxtor about how to remove the controler from the boot strap. Some of the new IDE RAID controllers, since they load a BIOS at boot, can be switch to NOT be a bot device and will not preset them selves as one to avoid these problems.
Hot Swap Hard Drives