cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange RAID behavior on DL360 with attached MSA30

Alexey Astashin
Occasional Visitor

Strange RAID behavior on DL360 with attached MSA30

We had performance issues with one of our file server (DL360 G3). Let's name it srv1. Only RAID-5 consisting 4 drives was configured on it. So all shared files, Windows folder and swap file was physicaly placed on that 4 drives. I decided to migrate shared files on another RAID-1+0 array with 4 drives and Windows+swap to another RAID-1+0 with 2 drives. DL360 has only 6 bays, so I shut down srv1, unplugged those 4 disks and then attached it to MSA30 that connected to another DL360 server (srv2). Also I plugged 4 new drives to MSA planning to create RAID-1+0 using it and clone files from old array to this new one. srv2 have 3 RAID-1+0 arrays on 6 drives, plugged to DL360 itself.
Then I restarted srv2. Controller found new RAID-5(from srv1), 4 blank drives and 3 mirrors. That's OK. In ACU (in Windows) I created new RAID-1+0 array cons. 4 blank drives. Then I tried clone partition from old array to new with Acronis software, but it failed. I spent 2 hours trying to solve that problem with no luck. Backing up system partition with Windows to image file from old array was succesful.I shut down srv2 and detached old RAID-5 then.
4 logical drives on RAID-1+0 had status 'failed', RAID-5 had status 'missing drives' after booting . Only way to keep all logical drives working is return old RAID-5 back to MSA.
It's very strange that all mirrors need that old RAID to work. I realize that explanation is bit confusing, so I'm ready to answer questions. ADU log is in the attach.
1 REPLY
Alexey Astashin
Occasional Visitor

Re: Strange RAID behavior on DL360 with attached MSA30

And the question is: does it safe to shut down srv2, unplug all 14 drives(6+4+4), boot the server, delete all logical drives in ACU (hitting F8 after booting), sut doan again then, plug all drives again and boot the server. Does it resolve that issue?