Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange events from hpqilo2

Chris Ciapala
Trusted Contributor

Strange events from hpqilo2

Hi all,
I have brand new DL360G5, with one quad CPU and 8GB RAM, running Windows 2008 x64 and Exchange 2007.
From few days I'm getting a lot of different warning events from hpqilo2 driver, saying:
Maximum PwrMeter count (1) exceeded
Duplicate thermal sensor instances: 6
Duplicate thermal sensor indices: 6
Insert logical container 2 failed
Duplicate supply instances: 2
Server seems to be running normally, no yellow or red LEDs.
Anyone knows what those events mean and how to fix cause of this warnings?
thanks,
chris
223 REPLIES

Re: Strange events from hpqilo2

Hi,

I am going to follow this post because i'm in the same situation.

I have two brand new DL360G5 with 2 Go and 4 Go of RAM running Windows server 2003 R2 SP2 ans i'm getting the same warning events.

I upgrade the ILO firmware version to 1.70 but i'm still getting this event.

I would also like to know what those events mean and how to fix cause of this warnings.

Jim
Diana Schmidt
Occasional Visitor

I too am getting these errors on numerous DL370 and DL380 G5 servers but I have found something common to all servers getting these errors.

Each server getting the errors had HP Integrated Mgmt Log 5.22 and HP Remote Monitor Service 5.21 installed and either HP ProLiant iLO2 Mgmt Controller driver 1.8.0.0 or 1.9.0.0.

Other servers, not getting the errors, have HP Integrated Mgmt Log 5.21 and HP Remote Monitor Service 5.20 installed and either HP ProLiant iLO2 Mgmt Controller driver 1.8.0.0 or 1.9.0.0.

So on one server with the errors I downgraded the HP Integrated Mgmt Log to 5.21 and HP Remote Monitor Service to 5.20.

On another server with the errors I installed HP ProLiant iLO2 Mgmt Controller driver 1.11.0.0. I'll watch them for a few days and let you know what happens.
Peter H.
Frequent Advisor

Hi

I got this messages too on a new DL380 G5 server running Windows Server 2008.
Duplicate thermal sensor indices: 7
Duplicate thermal sensor instances: 13
I got about 30 messages in a minute, then it stops.
Any suggestions what that could be?

Best Regards!

I'm also getting these kind of error messages on one of our blade servers (BL460C G1) with Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 32-bit since I installed the latest HP drivers and agents (PSP 8.20).

The server did one unplanned reboot by itself.

Did anybody have found a workaround?

Best regards, Stefan
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

I have read the article already.

Driver 1.11.0.0 for iLO2 is part of the installed PSP 8.20(A) and doesn't solved my Problem.

On the contrary, the error exis only since installation von the driver 1.11.0.0 for iLO2.

Futhermore, there is no problem to restart the server. The error messages appear in operational state.
Murat Mutus
Occasional Visitor

Hi all,

I have the same issues on 2 HP DL 385 G5 servers. They are Windows 2003 x86 SP2 4096mb Ram servers. I have first installed PSP 8.20 and started to get below error continuously

NetFN 0x4, command 0x2D timed out
Failed GET SENSOR READING, sensor 9
Maximum indicator count (1) exceeded
Duplicate supply instances: 1
Duplicate supply instances: 2
Duplicate container instances: 3
Duplicate fan instances: 1
Duplicate fan instances: 2
Duplicate fan instances: 3
Duplicate fan instances: 4
Duplicate container instances: 1
Duplicate thermal sensor instances: 5
Duplicate thermal sensor indices: 1
Duplicate thermal sensor instances: 6
Duplicate thermal sensor indices: 2
Duplicate thermal sensor instances: 7
Duplicate thermal sensor indices: 3
Duplicate thermal sensor instances: 1
Duplicate thermal sensor indices: 4
Duplicate thermal sensor instances: 8
Duplicate thermal sensor indices: 5
Duplicate thermal sensor instances: 3
Duplicate thermal sensor indices: 6

These errors comes during the day and the server reboots unexpectedly

I have downgraded HP Proliant Integrated Lights-Out Management Driver to Version 1.10.0.0 . Reboots doesn't continue but errors continues.
T.Willmann
Occasional Contributor

Hi Murat,

Where did you find 1.10.0.0 ?
In HP's revision history is only 1.9.0.0
before 1.11.0.0.

TW
Murat Mutus
Occasional Visitor

Hi T.

Yes I have below versions;

HP Proliant Integrated Lights-Out Management Interface Driver for Windows = V.1.10.0.0

HP Proliant iLO2 Management Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003 = V.1.8.0.0
(This is downgraded from 1.9.0.0 couple of minutes ago to se if it changes anything)

Now, there are more servers showing this error.
I have downgraded one of them to iLO version 1.8.0.0 from the last psp. Let's see if this helps...
StevenH_1
Occasional Contributor

I installed PSP 8.20A last week on a few DL380 G5, I came in to work this morning only to find that ou SIM server reported that one of our critical servers rebooted during the night, after rebooting I also had many hpqilo errors. I looked at the Intergrated lights out log ( from system management homepage ) and also found this error "BMC IPMI Watchdog Timer: Action=System Power Reset" . Anyone else got this ??
Chris Ciapala
Trusted Contributor

I had to disable ASR because of this. I got 3 reboots during a week, with no apparent reason, only o lot of hpqilo events. Just to be sure, I disabled ASR and system is stable from this time, about 3 weeks so far.
Anyone found newer/updated drivers or firmware?
DMorgan
Occasional Advisor

I have had exactly the same as the post above!! Disabled ASR! :( Not good HP!
T.Willmann
Occasional Contributor

10 Servers on my side as well...
No fun.
Wonder when HP is acting ?!
DMorgan
Occasional Advisor

Hopefully! soon..... reminds me of when the DL385 G2 was launched. First few months they would all blue screeen with the latest supportpaq.
olivier.brian
Occasional Visitor

We had a lot of unfriendly reboots last week with BL460C G1. I contacted HP and they advise me to upgrade all BIOS firmware and after that the OA firmware. This should fix the problem. I try this on Friday. But yesterday I get few reboots. Today I disabled the RSA on each Server.

Hope HP give me another advice on Monday..
Peter H.
Frequent Advisor

Hi
I have the same error messages as mentioned above in the eventlog. My server do not reboot (hope that keeps on!).
I have got other error, see
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1334516

Could there be a connection?

Best regards.

Same error here on a Blade 465 G5.

I had opened a case.

-Zahni
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

Make sure you force downgrade the HP Proliant iLO2 Management Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003 to version 1.8.

Should resolve your issues with both the hpqilo2 errors and the ASR/Blue Screen reboots.

Also there's a new firmware for both he E200 and P400 controllers.

Hi,

HP support advised me to downgrade the "HP ProLiant Integrated Lights-Out Management Interface Driver for Windows Server 2003 x64 Edition" to version 1.8.3790.0 .

This won't help. I had already updated the array firmware to 1.82 .

Should I try the ILO2 driver ?

-Zahni
James Kennedy_4
Trusted Contributor

Yeah, it's the iLO2 Management driver, here's the x64 version you need:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3621769&prodNameId=3621782&swEnvOID=1113&swLang=8&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-03c99c6a52a047d0bf38df0331&mode=3

I've fixed about 25 of my servers/blades with this. Anything with an iLO2. You sometimes need a reboot for the driver to take full effect, but should resolve your problem.

Hi,

the duplicate sensor messages are went away.

But, I still found this messages
one times over the night:

GetDeviceID failed: 0x0
Failed GET SENSOR READING, sensor 5
NetFN 0x4, command 0x2D timed out
NetFN 0x36, command 0x2 timed out

StevenH_1
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

After downgrading the HP Proliant iLO2 Management Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003 to version 1.8. and disabling ASR ( just in case), all HPQILO2 errors stopped...a least for now and it's been two days so far!
Mark Kozlowski
Occasional Visitor

We setup two fresh DL380 G5's with Windows 2003 and PSP 8.20 on it, and started receiving hpqilo2 errors with a few ASR's. With PSP 8.11, the issue went away but I wanted to try different iLO Management driver versions on PSP 8.20 after reading this thread. Here is what I found.

hpqilo2 errors, contrary to some people's experience in this thread

hpqilo2 errors, this is the version that came with PSP 8.20

Issue appears to be resolved.

I think I will still keep ASR disabled for a while just in case but it looks to be ok so far.