New Discussion

Strange fan behaviour ???

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ash3000
Occasional Collector

Strange fan behaviour ???

Hi all. 

I've just purchased a second hand HP PROLIANT DL360P GEN8 V2 1U 4X 3.5" (LFF)

Everything seems ok apart from it seems to do something odd with one of its fans

When it turned off one of the fans runs at full speed, but when I power up the server all the fans turn on and at the normal fan speed, and the one that was running full speed slows down and matched speed

I have changed the positions of the strange fan and it acts normal, no matter which fan I put into the first position on the motherboard fan header it does the same 

Any ideas? it's wasting a lot of power when the server is turned off and very noisy

Thanks in advance

Ash

4 REPLIES 4
Ash3000
Occasional Collector

Re: Strange fan behaviour ???

bump

Anu_K
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello Ash,

Could you check if the server had two processor configuration or one? As it is mentioned in the user guide of this server that fans 1 and 2 are only needed when processor 2 is installed. When only one processor is installed, always install the fan blanks.

I also found this document indicating the similar behaviour which might help, https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00035631en_us&docLocale=en_US

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

AmRa
HPE Pro

1. Make sure server firmware are up to date

2. Check by cold/hard reboot of the server

3. Power drain the server and check the status.

Steps To Power drain the server:

1. Remove both power cables.
  2. Press and hold power button without connecting power cables.

iii. Later release power button and connect power cables and power on the server

4. Clear NVRAM

Following are steps may be performed to clear NVRAM using the system maintenance switch on the system board:

1. Extend the server from the rack, remove the access panel, and locate the system maintenance switch (refer to item 1 in figure 1 below).
  2. Move switch S6 from default 'Off' position to 'On', install the access panel and connect the power cable to the PDU and power it on.
  3. When a message indicates that a maintenance switch has been turned on and the unit has been reset, power it off, remove the power cable from the PDU. Remove it from the rack, remove the access panel and reverse switch S6 to 'Off' and then power the server back again.

5.If still issue persists, check by Restoring default manufacturing settings

1. i. From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > System Default Options > Restore Default Manufacturing Settings and press Enter.
  2. ii. Select a setting and press Enter. No, cancel the restore procedure. Yes, restore the default settings.

iii. Press Enter.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
Ash3000
Occasional Collector

Ahh this would make sense as I have a dual port SFP+ LOM card installed and only the fan in line with the said card is running

That's great thanks!