New Discussion юеВ

Re: Strange problem on New DL580G2...

SOLVED
Go to solution
MARTIN_67
Occasional Advisor

Hi Stuart,

I would like to thank you for your idea and your research....

You were right !!

Compaq has changed the VRM on all 4 AS we have. All those VRM's were version 3 ! and as it was noticed on the cutomer notice you gave me it has to be at least 4!!

So we change them for a version 5.

It is quite funny to notice that on version 3 there is 2 industrial capacitors and one which seems added from hand !!!

On version 5 there are 4 "industrial" capacitors !!

So i think these servers were certainly released without hard testing !! (but it seems like it will be more and more the case !)

The problem is that Compaq has not contacted his customers who buy these servers to change these VRM from his own and moreover wheh i tell them to check these VRM (telling them to check this notice they don't find!) they spend 2 weeks asking me for survey and so on!!!

One more time we had to raise the pressure to have the VRM changed for a problem they don't solve and that were not aware of!! (i speak for the french support!!)

nevertheless , i would like tothank you again

Stuart Robinson
Advisor

Unfortunately, even after swapping the VRMs and the system board twice we are still experiencing issues. We are now getting a replacement server and sending our, obviously, faulty model back for extensive testing/diagnostics.

Ironically all our other G2 servers are working fine, maybe we just got the runt of the litter.
MARTIN_67
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

i was thinking that this problem was solved but on monday one of the four server has freezed another time !!!

We also are about to change the I/O board and the procs on this server ...

If this does not help we will also asked for a replacement ...

Some servers of these series are really bugged !!

Lars Eik

We also seem to have a DL580 with ASR booting the server, or rather tries to boot. It ends in a pingable state where no other services, or the console is reachable. Just the blue screen (not bsod) that hangs like when you take a normal shutdown and the desktop and all is exited. The server seems to be produced very recently according to serialnumber info. Has hung three times in two days. Help.
Wilson Sinclair

We experienced similar problems with our DL580 G2 servers earlier in the year. In the end we had to have one of them swapped out and sent back to engineering for root analysis.

The latest response we hear is that HP engineering believe that the CA EL021206_CW01 actually does reference G2 as well as G1 servers.

This is despite the advisory stating "Note: This issue only affects the first generation of the ProLiant DL580 server; it does not affect ProLiant DL580 G2 servers.
"
Since moving to Smart Array 5300 2.92 firmware we have not seen the issue. Might be worth checking this out.
Lance Carley

We are also seeing this problem on 2 out of 4 DL580G2s we have.

They are DL580G2, 4x1.6Ghz and each 6GB RAM and we use the Integrated 5i controller.

We run 2 Lotus Domino partitions on each DL580G2 server, and from time to time (minimum of 24hrs) the servers hang. This leaves them pingable, and at console winlogon is sometimes still there and the mouse responds. The only resolution is a reboot. Unfortunately, we can't get a memory dump either as the machines have >2GB.

We are running on with the /basevideo boot.ini setting and are waiting to see what happens.

We are persuing this problem with HP in the UK and France and are thus far having no joy from them.

Lance

lance.carley@bnpparibas.com
olivier_17
Occasional Advisor

My contrbution tu your problems...

I was confronted to boot problem a few week ago, on a 580G2 from a customer. After spending at least 2h30 on phone w/HP helpdesk (gsm...) and having 3 different people i received the info that there is problem with some memory board that cause erratic comportement on these server (boot or blue screen ...), near 1 lever there is a 4digit number (must be 0244) and there is a small picture near that digit ... ask helpdesk to send u that info or send me a mail if they cannot provide u the information
rem: i m in Europe, and i don t know if there is difference between our servers and other non-european ...

blairono@systemat.be
James Grant_2

Hi all,

Has anyone found a resolution to their problems?

We are experiencing the same symptoms but so far we are looking at the problem from a software angle.

We are running SAP (Central Instance) on our DL580 G2 clustered (Win2k Advanced). In the past we have found that the box will freeze up and only respond to pings -requiring a reboot. Microsoft and HP are looking at the issue and for us its as a result of Pool Paged Bytes running out. Once this occurs the box freezes up.

Since we have become aware of this we have instigated preventative reboots and monitored the pool paged bytes (memory object) value in perfmon. When it reaches around 190Mb we know the box will freeze up.

Very interested to hear how people have gone!
James Grant_2

Anyone got an update on their problems?

We had an HP engineer come out and take digital photos of our clustered node's memory boards as there have been issues with the board causing the machine to randomly lock up or ASR. This is not an official HP product advisory but there are still reported issues.

However, from the photos taken HP have concluded that the memory board in our SAP node does not have the markings of those that cause these problems.

Thanks.

David C_3
Advisor

Unfortunately, there is not a lot of detail about your server configuration or the components installed in your server, so there is not much information to go on.

Have you made certain that all support software and firmwares are up to date?

First, I would suggest checking that all firmwares are up to date. This would include:

1) DL580 G2 system ROM (currently dated 2/4/2003)

2) Smart Array controller f/w (SA-530x should be at 2.92 minimum, SA-5i should be at 2.38 minimum)

3) Hard drive firmwares (various f/w revs depending on drive model)

Next, check to see that the latest support software for Windows 2000 is installed. The latest Proliant Support Software for Windows 2000 is version 6.30A.

If this does not help, can you provide a list any PCI cards or controllers that are installed in your server? What array controller and what slot, what NIC and what slot, etc?

Have you opened a call with HP support? Any success?