1752796 Members
5885 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Strange processor types in ML370 G3, Windows 2003

Mihai Lupu_3
Advisor

Strange processor types in ML370 G3, Windows 2003

I see in device manager three!! Intel XEON CPU 3.06 GHz and one!! processor.
Due to Hyperthreading I shouldn't have to see 2 XEON + 2 Processors or 4 of the same type?
The installation was standard, from SmartStart 7.00 that I received.
8 REPLIES 8
Mihai Lupu_3
Advisor

Another issue: when I disable the hyperthreading from BIOS, I can see in device manager one Xeon and one processor!!!
Nathan Gervais
Trusted Contributor

At this point i would examine the physical processors in your system and make sure they both have the same description.

Where did you get the 2nd CPU?
Mihai Lupu_3
Advisor

Unfortunately (:-) )from the same supplier, who brought directly from HP. It is a new server and both processors was ordered from the beginning. Anyway, when I'm not using the Smart Start CD and start with 2003 Server CD, I can see 4 XEON!! So I don't suspect at all any of my processors...
David J. Jones
Advisor

I've experienced the same problem with a DL380G3 with dual Intel Xeon 3.2GHz processors. I spoke to HP Support and the support guy thought it was a Microsoft Windows 2003 bug!
Sean Robertson_2

I have the same problem!
I am expereincing random reboots on my Win2k3 Enterprise install on a ML370.
No other problems are noted anywhere, just this processor glitch. I am going to try an disable hyperthreading and see if 2 processors will still display and if the rebootong will cease.
Any other help would be much appreciated.

see attached file

sean
Tv_3
Respected Contributor

Hi,

Please upgrade the firmware.

Are these cpu's originaly installed or later added to the system?

Did anyone check the correct multiproc hardware abstraction layer (hall.dll) is used? (refer to microsoft)

Greetzzz.
Chaos, Panic or Disaster??? Always Stay Calm, I will fix it.
Mihai Lupu_3
Advisor

Dear all,
as I told you, the server is new, with both processors identical. I install everithing after it was completely equipped. When I use the Compaq SmartStart CD, I see 3 XEONs and 1 processor. If I use the CD from Microsoft with Windows 2003 Server OS, no error occurred; I can see 4 XEONs. So, I don't think that could be something wrong from firmware or from Microsoft.
Think OK?
Regards,
Mihai
Sean Robertson_2

Same here. Processors are OK, and I have installed every update/patch/firmware before I posted here. So it's not that.

Sean