1752675 Members
5801 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Stumped by problem with Smart Array configuration

Cameron Bennett
Advisor

Stumped by problem with Smart Array configuration

I have an ML350 G3 setup with three 36 GB drives in a RAID 5 configuration. I have gone through everything I can find yet the indicator lights still show an X and I get a message in Netware saying the drive controllers are not configured. WTF is up with this??

Thanks!
13 REPLIES 13
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Are they X'd out on the boot up after the array controller initializes?

Is this a fresh system, or has this been running for awhile?

Also, what kind of array controller?
Cameron Bennett
Advisor

New installation. X lights are on when the server boots and stay on. The drive array is a Compaq Smart Array 532 Controller.

Hope this helps.
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the info. One more question, when the controller is done initializing, does it say "1 Logical Drive" or 2, 3, whatever.

I have seen where certain drives with older rompaq's may come up failed, but not 3 in a row!

Something you could always try is to turn the server off, reseat the array controller, scsi cable, and drives just to make sure it's all snug. Next step would be to make sure everything is at the latest firmware.
Cameron Bennett
Advisor

The message does come up with 1 logical drive. I was able to configure the 3 drives in a RAID 5 configuration. I reseated the card, cables, and drives but the problem persists. Do you happen to know what the latest firmware version is?
e4services
Honored Contributor

THis is interesting. For the RAID 5 is configured and operating and you HAVE the logical drive created by the array. Is the Logical drive usable? Can you create a partition on it? Should be.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

I beleive the latest is 2.38. Since this is a fresh build, could you run a system erase on it and try starting over?
Cameron Bennett
Advisor

I'll answer both of the questions posed. Yes the partitions are usable...I already have insattled Netware 5.1 using the SmartStart CD. As for the second question, I can easily redo the whole thing since this is not a production server yet. I will also check as to the firmware level on the array.
Janine Bertolo
Honored Contributor

Hi Cameron;

Is this the only drive set on the server?

If you're up and running in NetWare on three drives that show red LEDs, it's probably not the hard drives that are the problem.

The actual LED in the Ultra 2/3 configurations is in the drive cage. The hard drives themselves use a fibre-optic channel to pull the light from the drive cage to the indicators on the front of the drive.

If the system is up and running without any other signs of failure, it's probably a faulty or mis-wired drive cage giving you the red LEDs.

What utility are you reading the 'drive controller not configured' message in NetWare from? The Integrated Management Log Viewer (cpqiml.nlm) will show that message from the date that the server was first booted and configured. It is informational only.

Hope this additional info helps you figure it out,

Janine
To get results you've never had before, try something you've never tried before.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Any other leds lit on the drives (activity, online, etc.). It's unlikely, but possible the leds are backward.

Are these drives in the original hot plug cage or is the optional 2 drive cage installed too?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..