ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752772 Members
4996 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Swapping PCI-X with PCIe Riser option in DL380 G4 - Drivers?

Paul_637
Regular Advisor

Swapping PCI-X with PCIe Riser option in DL380 G4 - Drivers?

I'm currently planning on swapping around a PCIe riser board (354675-B21) from one server, which is due for decommission a week later, into another, already live, server so that I can utilise a PCIe SAS card (for tape drive) on the server being retained.

The basic idea is to effectively swap the risers between the two servers, but I'm just checking what I might need to do driver-wise.

The server being decomm'd won't have any further need of the (now PCI-x) expansion slots so will I *have* to do any driver updates on it or will it just leave driver errors in Device Manager? (Both servers Win2k3) It'll only be around for a week or so (whilst data is migrated elsewhere) so I can live with non-disruptive error messages.

However, I'd expect I'll need to update drivers on the server *receiving* the PCIe riser board (this server doesn't currently have any PCI? cards installed but will now have a SAS card added with this riser board).

Should I just need to reinstall the latest PSP onto it?

Thanks,

Paul
1 REPLY 1
Saberus
Valued Contributor

Re: Swapping PCI-X with PCIe Riser option in DL380 G4 - Drivers?

I don't think you'll need any drivers beyond the one for the SAS card, which may already be on your system, but having the PSP handy is always a smart move.

I have swapped cages on both the DL380G4 and DL385G1 and have had absolutely no issues other than waiting for the drivers to load for the card attached to the riser, but never the riser itself.

So even the retiring server shouldn't have any errors related to the changed riser.